Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is a wolf mix. His mother was an arctic wolf/husky and his father was a pure timberwolf. He's just turned 2 and hes around 60lbs. Lately he has been showing me ALOT of aggression towards his food. Basically we have a glass sliding door and I make him sit and wait and if he does properly I open the door and put his food there. Than I say "OK" and he begins eating. Yesterday He wasn't sitting properly and when I pulled back to tell him to sit again he went completely bonkers. Barking like krazy showing his teeth and I just walked away and fed him later. Basically I'm wondering what I can do to help control his food aggression?

He doesn't show any food aggression towards my mom or my dad at this time.

Also, One time he just walked up to me and started growling at me, What I did was stood my ground and stood up completely straight and I didn't make eye contact with him. I never want to hit him. But if he DOES bite me, what should I do? I know running away will probably make him attack more.

I just really need some help here I'm 220lbs and Im a pretty young guy, but I'm more worried for my mom and dad.

Thanks

Shawn

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Basically, if he truly has that much wolf in him, he is a wild animal, and dog training techniques will not work with him. I'd recommend contacting a wolf sanctuary/zoo/etc. (anybody who has a lot of experience in working with wolves) and ask for their advice. No dog trainer will be of any help with a high-percentage wolf mix. Frequently living with a wild animal requires a high level of management, not training. He is reaching the age of social maturity, and things are bound to change. I do hope you have proper containment for him.

And, yeah, definitely don't hit him. Unless you want to lose an arm. Or more.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Basically, if he truly has that much wolf in him, he is a wild animal, and dog training techniques will not work with him. I'd recommend contacting a wolf sanctuary/zoo/etc. (anybody who has a lot of experience in working with wolves) and ask for their advice. No dog trainer will be of any help with a high-percentage wolf mix. Frequently living with a wild animal requires a high level of management, not training. He is reaching the age of social maturity, and things are bound to change. I do hope you have proper containment for him.

And, yeah, definitely don't hit him. Unless you want to lose an arm. Or more.
dog training techniques will work....with certain restrictions. but basically it would be better to ascertain whether or not this is one of those cases of owners being duped about wolf content or not before anything else is said.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I do not know much about WDs , but from what little I do know I can say A) that is seriously high content so I would question it further from whoever you got the WD from. It is important info B) He sounds very small for a WD with that high content

Personally , I would seek out some professional help fast , preferably with someone experienced with WDs. I would not be able to live with myself if an animal I was responsible for hurt my parents or anyone else for that matter.

·
Registered
515 Posts
If the animal just turned 2 then there is no way that the father was a pure wolf or anywhere near it. Pures and high contents only have puppies once a year and only in the spring. Do you have any pics of your dog to share

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Where's Nekomi when you need her?
She is DF's resident wolfdog expert.

And the ONE thing I know is that punishment should not be used..period. Management is number one.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Wow is there also only one gsd expert on this group, or rotti expert, etc. etc.

The animal is not what he's claiming it to be.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Wow is there also only one gsd expert on this group, or rotti expert, etc. etc.

The animal is not what he's claiming it to be.
Um, is it necessary to be sarcastic? I'm afraid I'm not really familiar with you Cindy, but do know Nekomi knows her wolfdogs. You may as well, it wasn't meant to be exclusionary. But since you felt the need to be snarky...sensitive much?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
If the animal just turned 2 then there is no way that the father was a pure wolf or anywhere near it. Pures and high contents only have puppies once a year and only in the spring. Do you have any pics of your dog to share
Males (of all species) are fertile all the time. If the mother was half dog, it's definitely possible that she had a fall heat. The full wolf father isn't the one having the pups ;).

I do agree that most people are duped about the wolf content of their "wolfdog". But sometime it really is a high-content wolf mix, so all advice needs to take that into account. But, I absolutely don't understand why people are so hot to buy a wild animal or a hybrid (I'm also thinking of hybrid cats, like Bengals and Savannahs), and then complain when their pet acts like a wild animal. That's what they wanted, right?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Um, is it necessary to be sarcastic? I'm afraid I'm not really familiar with you Cindy, but do know Nekomi knows her wolfdogs. You may as well, it wasn't meant to be exclusionary. But since you felt the need to be snarky...sensitive much?
Nope not at all, i just find it odd that your asking someone who your claiming is a expert on wolfdogs and this topic is about agrression, yet the person your calling for couldnt handle Jasper who was a aggressive animal that i believe was sent off to a sanctuary. There's something wrong with this picture.

Males (of all species) are fertile all the time. If the mother was half dog, it's definitely possible that she had a fall heat. The full wolf father isn't the one having the pups ;).

I do agree that most people are duped about the wolf content of their "wolfdog". But sometime it really is a high-content wolf mix, so all advice needs to take that into account. But, I absolutely don't understand why people are so hot to buy a wild animal or a hybrid (I'm also thinking of hybrid cats, like Bengals and Savannahs), and then complain when their pet acts like a wild animal. That's what they wanted, right?
That is totally fales Male wolves testicles will be peanut sized all year round (and not fertile) until mating season once a year in the winter months to correspond with a female wolf’s estrus, after mating they will once more shrink down so as to barely be noticeable, unlike a male domestic dog whose testicles remain the same size all year, and is able to mate any time of the year.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Really? Well, learn something new every day. I was under the impression that all males, no matter what, are always fertile (tomcats "shrink" during the off-season, and are much less hormonally charged, but they're still willing and able if presented with a female in heat). I wonder how many other mammal species have seasonally fertile males? I've never heard of such a thing. Well, topic for research I guess.

Can anything affect that? Access to a heated home, artificial lighting, etc.?

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Really? Well, learn something new every day. I was under the impression that all males, no matter what, are always fertile (tomcats "shrink" during the off-season, and are much less hormonally charged, but they're still willing and able if presented with a female in heat). I wonder how many other mammal species have seasonally fertile males? I've never heard of such a thing. Well, topic for research I guess.
quite a few species actually. many species in Canidae, Mustelidae and Ursidae especially have males that are seasonally fertile. Google "Winter Wolf Syndrome" for more wolf/Wolfdog specifics on the topic

Can anything affect that? Access to a heated home, artificial lighting, etc.?
pediatric altering....sometimes.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
pediatric altering....sometimes.
No, I meant, can anything make a male wolf fertile in the off-season? I know they make mink fertile all year by using artificial lighting and manipulating the temperature. Would that work with wolves?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Not to hijack the post as I have no exp. with wolves or wolve/dog x. One of our neighbors years ago had a wolf/mal mix, he kept him locked up after he turned 2 and became aggressive. I was always scared when we got a call saying he had gotten loose, I had kids, livestock, dogs and a gun but it still scared me. I also didn't like the fact that this poor animal was forced to live like that (heard stories from AC). The other was my farrier friend who had a wolf/gsd x male named "killer"...never locked away, always went to jobs with him...never had a problem until death at 13 was an absolute luv bug.

Is it the cross that makes the difference or just the amount of wolf or to many to count? I never got to see the neighbors wolf but I know my friends was huge. I also know the AC came and took all my neighbors animals as he had 25 horses that looked like walking skeletons so I wondered why we were never allow to see his "wolf" but I can just imagine what his life was like. I don't like wild animals being kept as pets they are much different than animals that have been domesticated for 100's of years.

I would also like to see pics.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Nope not at all, i just find it odd that your asking someone who your claiming is a expert on wolfdogs and this topic is about agrression, yet the person your calling for couldnt handle Jasper who was a aggressive animal that i believe was sent off to a sanctuary. There's something wrong with this picture.
Well, that's a rather shortened version of the issues she had with Jasper, don't you agree? Nekomi tried a lot of things, worked with behaviourists etc and was in the end unsuccessful in managing the aggression between her wolfdogs. She ultimately sent him to sanctuary because it was the best decision to make for him. This doesn't mean she doesn't have a lot of knowledge or tips that may have worked for the OP. Certainly a hell of a lot more than I, IF the dog is high content wolfdog.

And yes, DF has a few people that I would consider the colloquial "resident experts"....but that doesn't mean that any else's information can't be relevant, nor that what I term 'resident expert' is truly an expert, just ones that I consider to have enough experience or knowledge to be able to provide some guidance to the poster.

If I had been familiar with you I likely would have put your name there too. I didn't because I'm not familiar with you. Nor you with me, I'm assuming, otherwise you would have realized I was trying to be helpful, as I always try to be. Maybe I'm just cranky lately, but I felt your dismissiveness to be uncalled for.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Not to hijack the post as I have no exp. with wolves or wolve/dog x. One of our neighbors years ago had a wolf/mal mix, he kept him locked up after he turned 2 and became aggressive. I was always scared when we got a call saying he had gotten loose, I had kids, livestock, dogs and a gun but it still scared me. I also didn't like the fact that this poor animal was forced to live like that (heard stories from AC). The other was my farrier friend who had a wolf/gsd x male named "killer"...never locked away, always went to jobs with him...never had a problem until death at 13 was an absolute luv bug.

Is it the cross that makes the difference or just the amount of wolf or to many to count? I never got to see the neighbors wolf but I know my friends was huge. I also know the AC came and took all my neighbors animals as he had 25 horses that looked like walking skeletons so I wondered why we were never allow to see his "wolf" but I can just imagine what his life was like. I don't like wild animals being kept as pets they are much different than animals that have been domesticated for 100's of years.

I would also like to see pics.
I have four ranging from two very high contents, one low content and one mid content. I've never had a problem with any of them being aggressive. The more wolf you have in a animal the more naturally skittish of strangers the animal is going to be. Lets say for ex. if someone broke into my property, the low content or mid might decide to try and get the burglar, but the two highs would run and hide.

Max, low content, mostly husky

Nya, a lower mid

Selene and Loki, highs

Well, that's a rather shortened version of the issues she had with Jasper, don't you agree? Nekomi tried a lot of things, worked with behaviourists etc and was in the end unsuccessful in managing the aggression between her wolfdogs. She ultimately sent him to sanctuary because it was the best decision to make for him. This doesn't mean she doesn't have a lot of knowledge or tips that may have worked for the OP. Certainly a hell of a lot more than I, IF the dog is high content wolfdog.

And yes, DF has a few people that I would consider the colloquial "resident experts"....but that doesn't mean that any else's information can't be relevant, nor that what I term 'resident expert' is truly an expert, just ones that I consider to have enough experience or knowledge to be able to provide some guidance to the poster.

If I had been familiar with you I likely would have put your name there too. I didn't because I'm not familiar with you. Nor you with me, I'm assuming, otherwise you would have realized I was trying to be helpful, as I always try to be. Maybe I'm just cranky lately, but I felt your dismissiveness to be uncalled for.
The arthur was claiming the animal to be a high content wd. You can not even begin to go into this about a particular breed until you find out if the animal is indeed what they are claiming it is. Lets give an ex. someone claims theyre so called pitbull is being mean, then you see pics finally and its some boxer whatever mix.

Also i do not have a thing gainst Nekomi, but she had only had mid and lower contents until recently, and that is nothing like owning a high content, so she would not be an expert on wolfdogs.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts