Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

My dog is aggressive towards my second dog

677 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Jack Naylor
I have a husky called Snow. He is 1 year old and I have him since he was 2 months old. (Snow is in the profile picture and that photo was taken when I bought him). Besides an episode when he tried to kill a dog in the park because someone came with a female dog that was in heat, something that I posted about here back then and when he killed a chicken from neighbour's yard, besides that he is a good dog, that loves people and especially kids. Recently I purchased my second dog which is a 3 months old puppy husky lady called Matilda. Both Snow and Matilda are intact, however I don't want them to breed so I guess I'll have to spay Matilda. The problem I have is that Snow is jealous of Matilda when I play with her. When I'm not around they play peacefully. When I am around them, I try to give them both equal attention, I pet them equally, I give treats equally, however for Snow this isn't enough, he wants for Matilda to get nothing, when I pet her, he comes and growls at her, he wants her treats. As I said they play nicely when I observe them from distance, however I don't want this to end up with Matilda bitten by Snow or worse. Did you ever have to deal with dog jealousy? I hope this situation is temporary, when Matilda gets older maybe he will se her as a dog female that he wants to breed with more than a competitor, even if I don't want them to breed.
1 - 2 of 9 Posts
I have a german shepherd that was extremely jealous as a puppy. When she was about 7 months old my sister who was staying with me got a male Chihuahua. My dog was fine with him until he came up to any human, then she would frantically try to nose him away.

My approach was, and always has been, to (a) let the dogs acclimate to each other without human interference, and (b) gently but insistently dissuade the jealousy by telling her to knock it off, and NEVER allowing her to get any attention that way. If I'm petting another dog, she has to wait her turn.

I did this consistently at home, and also at the dog park or at friend's houses. Consequently she learned that it just didn't get her what she wanted and quit entirely!

I've never been a big fan of just managing bad behavior. I prefer to teach the dog how to behave.
Reactions: 2
Would you not agree that should negative behavior escalate to the point where the well being of one of the animals is threatened, that the response be appropriately modified to fit the situation ?
Obviously. But, my point was and is that if you consistently do not allow jealous behavior to be rewarded in any way, they learn pretty quickly. While Huskies may not be as intent on pleasing their person as a typical GSD, they are just as self serving LOL!

The problem I have is that Snow is jealous of Matilda when I play with her. When I'm not around they play peacefully. When I am around them, I try to give them both equal attention, I pet them equally, I give treats equally, however for Snow this isn't enough, he wants for Matilda to get nothing, when I pet her, he comes and growls at her, he wants her treats.
Dogs generally don't share resources. Trying to pet both at the same time and treat both at the same time/rate really doesn't register with them. Setting black and white boundaries, however, does.
1 - 2 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.