Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two year old male miniature schnauzer gets scared when children come around our home. He runs and hides under the table. When he's comfortable enough, he comes out, but only wants to be around me and my husband, or other adults. He was once sitting on my lap and our 1 year old niece came up behind him and he snapped at her and actually punctured her cheek a little bit. The other day, he growled at my husband's nine year old little brother.
He has never shown any other signs of aggression. He is actually quite timid and a little bit slower than our other two schnauzers. I rescued him from a woman who had him in a kennel outdoors for the first four months of his life. He was infested with ticks and lacked the basic developments of puppies. He's come a long way since then, but we are scared to allow him to interact with children. He hardly sees children since we don't have any, but the few times they do come around, he doesn't act well.

What should we do? I fear that when we choose to start our own family, our kids will be in danger around him. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
First, you should restrict all access to children. Put him in a crate or another room. If you allow bites to happen now, there will not be any helping him.

Second, aggression towards children is serious. I have a dog who is absolutely the best dog ever, but she is not OK with kids. If you wish to find a means to managing this issue I would seek a behaviorist for help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, he is now kenneled when kids come over. Our vet said he is scared of children and does not recognize them as humans since they are small. I am going to look for a behaviorist in our area.. Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Good luck! We've never really approached any avenues beyond containing/managing with our child aggressive dog because we have no plans to have children/never have any over. I would also wager he's terrified of children (especially since he is not outwardly aggressive, just fear biting when they are near him) so I hope you guys find a good behaviorist to help.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
No need to worry much, simple give him crate training he will be fine. Give him proper meal and make him play with ball by your childrens or you can play but there must be your childrens around it, this will let them help to get friends.
I'm sorry, but this situation is really not one to give advice about over the internet beyond seeking professional help (which the OP has chosen to do) because it's dangerous. This is not as simple as playing ball by some kids.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Alright ! I can understand, but if you have to mix them in your family culture you have to use this kind of training, In starting you may find difficult but later it would be easy to handle it or you can give him this training by any trainer, may it help you.
Use what kind of training? Playing ball with a dog that is fear aggressive towards children is not going to accomplish any thing and may very well get a child bit in the process.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I used to take my pup to the park/playground where little kids were running and screaming and doing little-kid things. I would park my car, windows up, and let my dog watch them. She was completely contained in my car. She felt safe. My pup is a very visual little thing, so she liked to watch from the safety of the car.

This is a step you can take without putting anyone at risk.

When I progressed with my pup, I had the neighbor kids stand by my fence and throw cheeseballs at my pup. Then, they would poke them through the fence at her. Later, I brought her around the fence. Obviously I would not have done this but for her easy comfort with them. She had never shown any aggression, just skittishness, so this part of what I did would NOT apply to your situation.

The thing that is absolutely critical is that your pup does not have ANY contact with children before your trainer gives you clear instructions. Get a trainer to help you. I described how I started things just for food for thought. Your trainer will have a clear plan tailored to your dog and your situation.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
First, you should restrict all access to children. Put him in a crate or another room. If you allow bites to happen now, there will not be any helping him.

Second, aggression towards children is serious. I have a dog who is absolutely the best dog ever, but she is not OK with kids. If you wish to find a means to managing this issue I would seek a behaviorist for help.
I also had a child aggressive dog (Izze) that stemmed from some idiot (sorry but I still am a little mad about it, even today) mom wasn't watching her kid & be picked Izze (then a pup) & dropped her, since then she was a major kid hater.

It sucks because I couldn't take her anywhere due to irresponsible ppl not watching their kids. You will have to restrict all access, I agree put him where kids can't get to him.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all your advice. I'm going to see if maybe taking him to the park (away from the kids) will help him a little bit

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
No need to worry much, simple give him crate training he will be fine. Give him proper meal and make him play with ball by your childrens or you can play but there must be your childrens around it, this will let them help to get friends.
YEah, that's a REALLY good way to get a child bitten and a dog euthinized.

OP, make sure you get him a tip to toe check up including blood work to test for Low Thyroid, eye problems and tick related illness, all of these can cause behavioral issues including anxiety and fear issues. Once that's clear you WILL need the help of a professional, be sure they use Operent conditioning, counter conditioning and desensitization and NOT Dominance and flooding to work with the issue. In the mean time being make sure the dog is put into a quiet place where the children are NOT allowed to be around him.

The fact is children are SCARY to dogs, they move quickly, are loud and tend to approach in way dogs consider rude (from the front, reaching over the head ect). Many dogs have the same issues and it's the reason children are most likely to be bitten.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts