Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi

Im also from the UK, in Suffolk, where abouts are you? I have just been watching that programme too on sky tv.

I cannot believe that kid walking around that estate holding onto a pitbull?

What the bloody hell is his parents thinking.

To all our US friends please click on the link above, it is well worth a look but upsetting.

Sarah X

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Hrm the Bebbe isn't working for me. What area are you in, I'm down in London and didn't see any mention of this or similar story. Then again we've had the Chelsea flower show taking over our TV sets all week so that may be why.

I'll have to try it again when I get back from Belfast. It's nice having a bank holiday every onc in a while, but IMO there's way too many of them.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
It won't play for me because I'm not in the UK. >-.-<

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, im up near newcastle.
The programe was about the growing trend over here for young men to have dangerous dogs and use them for intimidation or as a weapon!

The breeds were staffys, pit bull mixes, rottwielers and mastiffs. The programme interviewed some of these (i can only call them) idiots. They besically trained their dogs to be vicious by hitting them and one man fed his a live rabbit to give it the taste of blood :(

It also looked at the breeding of these animals and the terrible conditions there in as well as how clueless the owners are.

There was a girl who had been mauled by a pit hen she was 6 who is now 15 giving her story.

They also visited an RSPCA where there were a lot of these breeds some had been bait dogs and one poor dog had his ear chewed off and was burnt repetadly with cigarettes and yet was still really friendly :(:(

I have noticed where I live that there are tonnes of staffy types around some of them are lovely and some of them arent, however where I am you dont see many young lads with them (my local staffy belongs to a granny :)) However if you look in any uk shelter there are tonnes of these dogs. And I know that else where the gangs with these dogs is much more common and they are using these dogs as a status symbol, weapon, protection etc.

I would imagine its the same as whats been happening in the US.

The incident with the young boy and the dog that someone mentioned above, was a young boy about 8 or 10 who was by himself with a staffy type dog. The dog seemed to be very aggressive and not under a lot of control.

The men featured on this program seemed to realise there dog could kill someone they were fighting with but it was never mentioned or asked if they had considered if there dog attacked a child!

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00kmtl9/My_Weapon_is_a_Dog/

Maybe that will work??

I feel it is good for Americans who are not clued up on UK dog politics to watch.

To be honest at the moment i feel like a walking advert for the programme,people are scooping up kids,moving all but bullybreeds in an instant and looks are killing me slowly right now.

The programme made a real impact here but failed to show a positive IMO,yes there is a SBT overpopulation problem but there are many owners of bullys who coulda repped that documentary too.

·
Banned
894 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Maybe people in the UK will finally see that it's not the breed of dog, but the people who abuse and misuse them that makes a particular dog "dangerous". Maybe there is hope that the UK will repeal the Dangerous Dogs act.

·
Registered
434 Posts
You know, I was at a beach one time and these guys, looked like the stereotypical kids who have a pit so they look tough kinda people, had this cute little staffy puppy. I made googley eyes at it and commented to them, "What a cute dog!" (I was trying to give them the benefit of a doubt that they didn't have the dog to look "cool"/"tought" and trying to be nice). They glared at me and you could tell they were not happy with me calling their dog cute and making aww noises at it.

You gotta wonder though if it would encourage these kids to find something else to look tough if they kept encountering people who instead of acting afraid were making googley eyes at their dogs and calling them cute. I'm sure that would kinda be an ego killer for some one who wants to look tough/"manly" *snicker*.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I do the same thing, when I encounter any dog at work I coo about how cute it is, or how handsome or pretty, whatever. If it's a 2 lb chihuaua or a 200 lb mastif. It's CUTE!

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
My Dog Is A Weapon

Here is my thoughts

I don't understand the idiots with the dogs fighting through the fence. For one keep your dog on lead when in public, especially a bull and terrier. That is common sense. Second the guy outside the fence just needed to pick his dog up and the whole thing could have been avoided. He could just grab the dog when it starts to be aggressive.

Cracker is way too fat, looks more like an English Bulldog so overweight, nothing scarey there.

Pepper to me seems a fine dog. Inga should see. Good training too for non "professional" trainer you know what I mean. I totally agree with that, I would sleep where I could to keep my dog!

Roxy to me has some issues that might lead to a fight sometime. Although I think he seems wise enough to read her. If she gets on with dogs sometimes then it is alright to keep letting her socialize and just pay attention to her body language when she doesn't want to or has had enough.

What were the red red nose and chocolate red nose dogs? Were those supposed to be Staffs? That red especially look like a Pit.

DMX has had Pits forever and I do think many of his videos and what has had a big contribution to wankers wanting these dogs. As for the comment "those dogs are fierce, considering they are props" I can't agree with. Perhaps they were but then again not. They could be wanting to play not attack each other. I can do same with mine and they would look aggressive to those who don't know because they are excited to play. The way they slow it down adds to the drama.

"Rocky is a big, aggressive dog" Yes because Rocky is very fat. So he is talking about making his dog fear aggressive. That is the most retarded thing I've ever heard. A dog like that will be the most likely to cur when the heat is on. Only acts tough because he feels threatened.

If that is a french mastiff and not a cross of one it sure is damn nice looking (for what I like). Not all slobbery and saggy. OMG I love that dog! Nice muscle too, not fat. Beautiful face. I think I agree if someone is doing something wrong and gets attack it is their bad. Same if they get knocked out, shot or stabbed. They were the one looking for trouble. Oh shit he has a website, I'd love to see more of that awesome dog. 250 that is all?

What kind of shit kicks a puppy like that! Cowards. Probably won't ever be charged will they? Poor pup is so cute.

How terrible burned dog. Some people are totally demented. They like to torture, very sadistic.

"taste for blood" LMAO
Them saying that on media is going to keep making people believe it.

OMG their *these bitches have been "forced" to produce litter after litter bullshit. Not that I agree with how the people kept them but all assumptions and always "forced". Of course any domestic any is "forced" to breed.

I feel bad for the black dog regardless of the breeding situation. However they don't seem to tell you the full story? To me she looks engorged and possibly has mastitis. Unless they truly know her history, why are they on about breeding machine, cash cow. I'm glad that she is getting helped and again feel bad even if she was kept properly.

Wow that warden has like no power.

The DDA. Bans 4 dangerous fighting dogs? Dogo and Fila is not fighting breeds.

Are all those they take true Pit Bulls or some are staff and mixed breeds they think are Pits.

Defra stupid.

Damn only 250# for those pups. Supposed DDB.

I feel bad for the girl attacked, tragedy BUT any of the other large non illegal breeds could do that or hella worse. However if the dog was on lead that wouldn't have happen. They would be controlled. I can't believe she has never seen a spiked collar? I do agree with her to bring them up properly.

36hrs after the fight they decide to help him? WTF! I thought that was a Staffie not a "pit bull" also. It is a banned APBT? Psycho the white injured fighting dog.

·
Registered
235 Posts
THOSE are the kind of idiots that make Staffies, Am Staffs and any pit bull mix in general look bad. those idiots :mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Pepper to me seems a fine dog. Inga should see. Good training too for non "professional" trainer you know what I mean. I totally agree with that, I would sleep where I could to keep my dog!
Gotta agree. Pepper's owner seemed he was actually training the dog, not trying to make it mean. I honestly did not see much wrong with how he took care of his dog (aside from letting it run loose in a public park).

"Rocky is a big, aggressive dog" Yes because Rocky is very fat. So he is talking about making his dog fear aggressive. That is the most retarded thing I've ever heard. A dog like that will be the most likely to cur when the heat is on. Only acts tough because he feels threatened.
Rocky's owner was an idiot! An idiot who was making up for something he lacked. He came off as a complete wuss/coward that was using his dog to prove his manliness (and yet he looked like a complete moron and some one who would probably get beaten up if he didn't have his dog). Exact kind of person that should not have a dog! And on top of that very obviously making up for something he was lacking by having some property that he felt gave him a better image. It's funny, but what you say about the dog is how I feel the owner would act too (acts tough but as soon as the heat is on, total coward and runs).

Poor Rocky. Poor any dog that has to put up with his idiocy. It's too bad the dogs don't turn on their owners in situations like that (talking about being mean to the dog so the dog takes his frustrations out on some one else other than the owner).

I didn't watch the other videos.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts