Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:redface:

My husband started working from home 5 weeks ago. Coincidentally, it was 5 weeks ago that I last washed Kabota. The past month, he'd slowed down a bit, but I put that down to August and early September being miserably hot and humid in DC.

Then I washed Kabota, and instead of going from fluffy dog to skinny drowned rat, he went from fluffy dog to fluffy wet dog. I didn't even blow dry him, I toweled him down and plopped him on the scale. He went from 37 lbs to 42 lbs.

I get home and ask my husband just how much of his food he's been giving to the dog. (I've been feeding the same and buying treats at the same rate.) At first, my husband denied it, but then he admitted that when he makes himself eggs for breakfast, he gives Kabota an egg. When he makes himself a sandwich, he gives the dog a couple of slices of deli meat. I worked it out, about 600 extra calories a day x 5 days= 5 lbs., give or take.

Fortunately, Kabota thinks "you're a pig, a piggy puppy!" is quite the compliment, lol. And yes, my husband is chastened and now tosses Kabota a low calorie treat instead of a slice of roast beef.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have never seen Kabota around food. It's very hard to say no. I share with him, but I share a teensy little bite, not a whole slice of ham.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Big puppy dog eyes, I assume? I was house-sitting for a family friend and they have a mutt who undoubtedly has some type of retriever in her. She wasn't necessarily rude while I was eating, but she'd lay on the floor staring holes into me the entire time while occasionally letting out a pathetic groan just to make sure I still knew she was there. She did make me feel a tiny bit bad for not sharing!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, retriever-something mix, they lay it on thick. He just stares at you happily, then increasingly sadly, until he gives up and lays down with a sad little groan-sigh.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I've never really understood why some people feel so compelled to share their food with their dogs.
I share most of my food with my dogs, but I cut back on their own dinners accordingly.

I don't tolerate the dogs sitting 6 inches from me and staring, but I do allow them to lay around 5-6 feet away and then give them scraps when I'm done. The smarter two have learned to detect when I'm getting close to the end of my meal and they perk their ears and try to look as pathetic as possible accordingly.

I don't have a problem with people feeding table scraps, as long as it's managed appropriately and dogs don't learn to grab food from hands/tables/counters in the process. I can leave my plate with chicken on it on the floor in the middle of the living room and walk out and my dogs would never touch it because I've taught them boundaries. I think eating the same food every day would get super boring and a nice treat of cheese or chicken every once in a while is a special treat :)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Hahaha awe, Kabota!!!

It's funny how hard it is to notice when a fluffy dog has gotten chubbier. I didn't notice last summer that Meeko got fat until I took him to the vet and he weighed 8.5 lbs!! A whole pound larger LOL I was like oh my... luckily it's very easy for him to lose weight but I always feel sad looking at how little food he gets. I know he's tiny so he's gonna get a tiny amount of food, but he's always hungry and he is very good at being sad lol. If Meeko weren't a teeny dog, I would swear he has retriever in him, because he does the same thing lol!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Hahaha. This made me laugh. I feel for your husband. On my days off I always shared with Royce, I always had scrambled eggs for breakfast, so I would make an extra for him, an extra treat at lunch time and peanut butter in his good for dinner..... BUT, it was only 1 day a week that he was completely spoiled with awfulness. Lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts