Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago I woke-up to the sound of shattering glass, when I got up to investigate I got a big cut on my toe before I had a chance to turn on the light.
It got red and swollen and I even though it stopped bleeding the inflammation didn't go down (despite cleaning it etc.)
I made an appointment with my doctor since my toe wasn't healing, until my dog licked it.
He became fascinated with my toe since I got the injury and kept trying to lick it (as if he knew it was hurting me), and then after he licked it a few times the next day my toe was good as new.
I read that dog's saliva can have some healing properties to it. Is this true? Or was it just a coincident?
Has your dog ever helped your personal health?

·
Registered
81 Posts
That sounds like a coincidence to me? I've never heard of dog saliva having confirmed healing properties and I don't think their saliva is chemically dissimilar from our own saliva. As for my own personal health I haven't experienced anything like that but you do hear all those stories about dogs being able to detect cancerous tumors so it makes you wonder...

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
Well on the other thread.....

I mentioned that if you got cut, my great grandmother would drag to to the nearest dog to lick.....

I have done it all my life....

Science bunks the theory.... But does admit that dog saliva does have some anti bacterial properties...

To each their own...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I don't think their saliva is chemically dissimilar from our own saliva.
That may be the case, and saliva in and of itself may have something that's helpful. I don't know.

What I do know that it is mammal nature to lick wounds, apes, dogs, cats and humans have a natural reflex to lick wounds. That's why when we get a paper cut we put the hurt finger in our mouths.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I grew up with the theory that a dogs lick can speed up a healing cut. Who knows if it's true, but some of those old wives tales do work.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep when I was a kid, if we were out playing and skinned a knee or stubbed a toe, we would let the dogs lick the wound. Maybe just thinking it would help had a placebo effect.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I forget where I read it (maybe here?) But it was said that dog (animal) saliva has more anti-bacterial properties than ours - which is why they can eat stuff (rotting meat etc) we can't without getting severely ill. Maybe there's something to it?

I personally wouldn't let Bella lick my cuts - esp deep ones. She does, after all eat her poop and other things off the ground.

Bella help my health? Hahahaha! I broke my ankle taking her out for a walk - wailing in pain - and she just stood there like, "Well? We going for a walk or what?"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts