Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My doggie scratches the door and barks when I leave the room. I find this weird because I believe he is submissive. He listens to my commands and sits nicely before anything is given to him, but he just goes nuts when I leave him, even after I give him a nice bone before leaving. It's so hard because I'm not sure what to do about this... =( I also know nothing about his past, because I found him on the street (the vet said he was a year old at the time, he is now a year and a half).

He even graduated Beginner Education! I'm so proud of what he's become, but this still continues to be a problem.

Also, when another dog comes over, he immediately goes into guarding mode. He protects his food and toys and starts fights with other dogs. How can I get him to be nice and learn how to share? I've noticed that even when I take him into a neutral area, he still guards and even steals stuff from other dogs! I'm thinking about getting a companion for him but I can't until I'm sure that he can be friendly to other dogs. Any help would be much appreciated.

It just makes me sad that he's like this, because he's such a great dog when he's with me and when he's not around other dogs. Thanks in advance for all your help.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Dogs need to learn that being alone is OK. That takes training...confidence building and removing any fears. Go back to the lessons from beginners class and work on the confidence issues.
Resource guarding is something that needs to be nipped in the bud early before it turns into aggression. Start out slow like they taught you in class and you need to do that work everyday under many different conditions. Go back to step one of hand feeding and work your way up to taking away a full food bowl, Personally, I don't train resource guarding in the presence of multiple dogs...they eat separately so they don't have to look over their shoulder while enjoying their meal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts