Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For convinience i'm going to paste the report I filed to the fda.

"Our 7 year old labrador was constantly vomitting and acting unusually fatigued. We took him to the vet where they performed a blood test and found that he has excessive white blood cells and that if his sickness continues he will be given antibiotics. Subsequently the following day we recieved a letter informing us that the exact food brand of the exact manufactureing dates of the food that he has been eating has been recalled due to salmonella. A further check online showed that his symptoms are consistent with that of salmonella and we are returning to the vet tomorow. We are extremely worried and are anxious to know if he will be ok."

We are extremely worried is an understatement, as we have been able to find little information as to the prospects of dogs making a full recovery. He started vomitting a little over a week ago, and while that has mostly ceased he is still very fatigued and lacks energy. From what I have read on the internet a major concern is dehydration though he is drinking normaly and keeping down the water. What are the prospects of recovery? Should we expect this to pass and for him to recover completely? Will the vet give antibiotics and if he does then should he recover completely?

We are also aware of the transmission risk to humans and we are taking appropriate precausions.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Well nobody can really say as you don't know for sure that your dog has salmonella, his symptoms are consistent with a lot of different things. You should ask your vet to confirm a diagnosis so whatever he has can be treated appropriately.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Its my understanding that it is very unlikely a dog will get salmonella from its food because its digestive track is so short. This is why many don't fear it when they feed raw (which has a fair risk of being contaminated.) Really, Diamond found only 4 bags of food that tested positive for Salmonella out of nearly 6 million bags between December 9, 2011 and April 7, 2012, giving the chance that your dog got it even more unlikely. And like Sassafras said the symptoms are consistent with a number of things.
I'm not saying it cant happen. I am pretty sure I got salmonella about a month ago from infected dog food, because we feed diamond naturals lamb and rice which was the brand that was found infected and everything else fit, circumstances led me to handle a lot of dog food and not wash my hands afterward and eating soon afterwards (finger foods). But regardless of this we still feed diamond naturals lamb and rice because the chances of the DOG getting affected by salmonella is slim to none and I will just remember to wash my hands after handling dog food for now on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree that it's unlikely it's salmonella. Have you taken the dog off food for 48 hours? Water should still be available of course. The GI tract may just need a rest in order to recover.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts