Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is probably an unusual problem, maybe someone can help me?

I recently got a retired show dog, a Japanese Chin. He was used for breeding but was a poor breeder, and he's still intact. I've got an appointment with the vet tomorrow to have him looked at and we're taking off those bits first thing. :) Right now he's scent marking in the house, every time we catch him we yell NO and toss him outside. We're very much hoping that neutering will help us get a handle on that. That's not really what this post is about though, except indirectly.

The thing is... he seems to be trained NOT to go when he's on a leash. It's the strangest thing I've ever seen. If I put him in a harness and lead, he's suddenly a perfect gentleman. But we would actually prefer he pee and poo on walks, so this is a problem. :doh: It's kind of useful since I put him on his leash during the day and at night, to make sure he doesn't scent mark, but does anyone have any suggestions for retraining? Or should I just forget about it and teach him to go in the back yard, off leash? He's willing to do that. Anyway, thanks!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Its not that strange- some people prefer their dogs do their business in their yards rather than on other people's property during walks (also avoids having to pick up poo then), especially in urban areas where people have flower gardens and such by the sidewalk.

If your yard is fenced, he might as well do his business there. If its not fenced, try using a long line or retractable leash (which I dislike for regular walking but can be very useful for unfenced yards) so he doesn't "feel" leashed. He might just get used to your routine and start eliminating on walks because he can (as in, you're not going to discourage it like probably a former owner did)

As for the marking- neutering may or may not help that, he's an adult dog so all the habits are already firmly in place. Try treating it as a potty training issue and like a puppy, interrupt him, rush outside WITH him and if he pees outside, give him a treat. Make sure to clean up anything inside with an enzyme cleaner or a 50/50 white vinegar and water mix.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Is it doable to leash him to you while you are inside, so he can't sneak off and lift his leg?

·
Registered
291 Posts
We have a similar issue whenever one of our bitches comes into season. At that point they both go onto leashes and are walked outside regularly, still on leash, so we have control. Being on a full time leash, they have to go as there is no alternative. Reward with lots of praise when it works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it doable to leash him to you while you are inside, so he can't sneak off and lift his leg?
Yes, I do that when I'm playing on the computer and working... times I absolutely can't be watching him. We are trying to train him like a puppy. He's already getting the idea... he KNOWS he's not supposed to do it in the house, so he tries to do it when we're not looking. :nono: Every time we catch him at it we yell NO and toss him outside for a while. When we take him for a walk, every time he piddles we praise him. *sighs* It's so wearing though, following him around all night to try and catch him in the act. I really hope the neutering helps... thanks everyone, I had no idea people actually trained their dogs to NOT go on the leash!

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Even in your backyard I would let him drag a light lead, one that does not bother him just for catch up purposes. Fishing line on dog snap might work as its so light it may not bother him dragging it. If you have no trouble with recall in yard, not needed then. Oh one problem sometimes the fishing line hard to see.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'm not surprised that he won't go while on a leash. As a former show dog, the owner wouldn't want him to take a dump in the show ring - lol! It may take awhile for him to learn that it's okay now. Take treats and when he finally does go, give him a treat and let him know how happy you are. Of course, take poop bags to pick up any of that.

As for the marking, get him a belly band. Put a feminine pad inside, so you don't have to wash it so often. This way, if he marks, it won't go on your furniture or walls. You can get one at Petsmart or Petco for under $20, as well as at any good pet store. See link: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3830111. Put 'male belly band' into the search at the top of the page. Sorry, I couldn't get the exact page to copy.

·
Registered
427 Posts
<snip>
he KNOWS he's not supposed to do it in the house, so he tries to do it when we're not looking.
No he doesn't know he's not supposed to mark. All he knows is that if you are looking you get very angry so it's safer to do it when you're not looking.

<snip>
Every time we catch him at it we yell NO and toss him outside for a while. When we take him for a walk, every time he piddles we praise him. *sighs* It's so wearing though, following him around all night to try and catch him in the act. I really hope the neutering helps... thanks everyone, I had no idea people actually trained their dogs to NOT go on the leash!
To yell and throw him outside isn't really telling him anything unless it's done EVERY single time he's marking ... and then only that it's not allowed in that particular spot.
Instead of following him around to catch him in the act, keep a leash on or the dog in a crate when you're inside. Then you can, gently but firmly, tell him 'no' and lift him out and WAIT for him to mark outside so you can praise. If you leave him alone he still doesn't know what you want from him and yelling and throwing them outside might just make him pee more since he'll likely get nervous.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Yes, I do that when I'm playing on the computer and working... times I absolutely can't be watching him. We are trying to train him like a puppy. He's already getting the idea... he KNOWS he's not supposed to do it in the house, so he tries to do it when we're not looking. :nono: Every time we catch him at it we yell NO and toss him outside for a while. When we take him for a walk, every time he piddles we praise him. *sighs* It's so wearing though, following him around all night to try and catch him in the act. I really hope the neutering helps... thanks everyone, I had no idea people actually trained their dogs to NOT go on the leash!
Crate him at night. If he isn't 100% trustworthy in the house, he shouldn't be loose when you cannot watch him.

Also, he might not "know" that he isn't supposed to pee in the house; rather what he has learned is that getting CAUGHT peeing makes you angry and makes you "toss him outside" so of course he is trying not to get caught. Don't yell at him, just make a quick noise or gently clap your hands once to startle him enough to stop peeing and then go outside WITH him and stand there for 5 minutes. If he pees, he gets a treat (not just praise at this point), if he doesn't pee, he comes back inside and either stays leashed to you or is crated

1 - 9 of 9 Posts