Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not convinced of what Cesar Millan says about dogs living in the moment. I have two dogs, a 3 year old Pit Bull mix rescue that came to us at 1.5 years old, plus Sasha. The rescue's name is Corky and he seems to form opinions of other dogs fairly quickly. He has never bit another dog, but he will pin a dog that exhibits "bad doggy manners".

I had an old Keeshond with oldtimers named Sam when we first got Corky. Sam was dumb and obnoxious and didn't respond appropriately when Corky growled at him. I always had to keep those two dogs separate because Corky always wanted to pin Sam. Corky simply didn't like Sam, even when Sam was being "good". (RIP Sammy.)

My old American Eskimo X, on the other hand, was fine with Corky. He never touched her and they often shared toys, food, a bed, etc. (RIP Bailey)

Now that I know Corky will not hurt her, I have let Corky and Sasha work things out between them. Sasha can get very hyper and bounce in Corky's face. I have no problems with him pinning her when she ignores his growls. Last night she was super excited, he pinned her, then he hid under the kitchen table. Sasha went outside for a while and when she came in I called them together, fed them an extra-special treat while they sat side-by-side, and Sasha was over the incident. Corky, on the other hand, continued to act as if he was guilty and sorry even though he was not disciplined for pinning Sasha.

I'm not sure if Corky is just disciplining himself because he has been scolded in the past for pinning other dogs or if he really does hold grudges and guilt. Thoughts?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If he was punished for pinning dogs in the past, yes, he most likely was anticipating that. He doesn't understand that you're OK with him pinning Sasha even though you weren't OK with him pinning Sam.

Dogs do mostly "live in the moment", but that doesn't mean they don't have memories!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts