Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I'm glad I don't go to church.:rolleyes:

I see nothing wrong with the OPs actions either. I would bring my dogs to an outside function. Why not? Great training for them, and most people like a dog's company, especially kids. For the people who are terrified of dogs, well they should probably become agoraphobic as well. I'm such a bitch, but that's IMO.:)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Hulk, not everyone likes dogs. That's just life and statistically, less than a quarter of the population are dog owners so there are bound to be people who don't want dogs in that type of setting. Don't give up on people though, you just need to find people who loves dogs like you do.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here is a good one.. they have walks to raise money for things like Kidney Disease research and other good causes. Most fund raiser walks do not allow dogs even if you offer to pay for the dog to walk or even if the dog gets sponsers!. Doesn't matter if the dog has her CGC or if she is a TDI dog that goes to a hospital.. most of these fund raiser walks ban dogs (around here).

I check b4 doing things. I am so with your Hulk and Harisse.. much nicer time with my dog than with most people.

:D lucky us around here when we do walks DOGS are welcome, in fact Sugarhouse park ( in Sugarhouse) just had a Strutt your mutt for No more homeless pets in utah.. ever since i was little dogs have always been a Utah thing, they are pretty much welcome everywhere now a days :p churches,parties etc, you name it they are welcome.

i am sorry the OP had to go thru this, that sucks, i can understand if the Church had reserved the park for their private party. ( utah does that ALOT). and they always have dogs everywhere. sadly, we still have homeless pets :(.

i understand the frustration about not letting dogs go everywhere, and i respect that, however, on the flip side of the coin, as us owned by dogs, we need to respect those whom do not like dogs, it is sad not everyone likes dogs, but, that is their loss. i know for me, being owned by dogs, i do not like certain animals ( mainly the creepy crawlers), but, i do not stop going to places that have them there. Does that make sense? i guess what i am trying to say, is that i am ok with not taking my pups everywhere, just like there other owners that can not take their pets everywhere, we have to respect that.

i hope i did not give anyone headaches :p!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't think you guys can put this on the church. There are lots of functions/establishments at which dogs are not welcome.
When Molly was a puppy, I took her into my church for several hours (there was a youth group sleepover going on, and I was hanging out with the girls), and no one had a problem with it. Of course, she was only about 12 weeks old, and so cute that everyone loved it :p

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Hm, dogs are not allowed at our public parks. :( My dogs however, are allowed at my church and have been there many times. My minister is a pretty darn nice guy and has no issue with them coming to visit from time to time. Just to be clear though, it is NOT during services. :) ;) I wish dog were welcomed in more places. I should say... well behaved dogs.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I don't bring my dogs out to activities like that unless I am absolutely sure dogs are welcome and even then it's only the best trained one. I will not bring a rowdy teenager to a function just for some fun and exposure.

And frankly, I hate it when people bring their dogs also, most of them just get in the way, (few are trained - most are as bad as the owner's kids at my church :p ) and who wants them around the food? I'm a HUGE dog lover, but I don't think it's polite to assume that "just because the dog is a part of the family he goes also".

That said, I will occasionally bring my best dog, after first checking and double checking.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
What is the dog going to do to the food?........are they some kinda food poisoning ninjas and I just don't know it?:D

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I kind of agree. I took it as a red flag that the members of your church may not be the kind of people you want to be around if they cannot love and accept a member of your family (granted it's a little different if your dog had been obnoxious)
That's a darn STUPID reason to switch churches. I can see it now "Bwaaahh they don't like my dog. Bwaah I'm so hurt, and my dog's feelings are SO hurt.. I'm going to take offense because of a dog."

Geesh people, grow up. I have people in my church who are allergic/scared/or just plain don't care for dogs or who don't want dogs running around while they are eating. Fine with me, as a responsible dog owner I will manage my dog properly, even if it means I have to bend over a little extra to do so.

How you treat someone is WAY more important than how you treat someone's pet.

To the OP, I wouldn't let it bother you. It happens to all of us and you just smile and get on with it. You get used to it after awhile. Take it from some one who has had it happen to them before. ;-)

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
It might have occurred to me to take Alvin to the park for a church picnic as well, since he is well behaved and likes to get out of the house a bit.

But I would not have been surprised if I had been asked to leave him at home next time.

It is the church's job to look after its congregation and some members of the congregation may feel uncomfortable around dogs, may be allergic, may not like the presence of an animal around their food, or whatever. Because church is not generally a place one brings pets, those people are not expecting to see a pet at a church function, and should not be subjected to one by surprise.

In addition, the church has only your word to prove your dog is bomb proof. If someone had been hurt, the church would likely have felt the need to take responsibility for the incident...perhaps would have even been legally responsible. And, as mentioned, if you bring your dog, others will want to bring theirs and now they have to be responsible for all kinds of possibly crazy pets.

I just don't think it's that strange to have an organization ask that pets be left at home.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I would've understood more if Zero actually did something, but he didn't. He didn't jump on anyone. He didn't eat any food that wasn't offered to him. He didn't bite anyone or bark at anyone. All he was guilty of was being a dog and a well behaved one at that. I don't have problems with well behaved pets in an outdoor setting. Especially at a park. That's just me though. I won't be bringing him in the future and will probably go back to my policy of avoiding large social gatherings.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I'm glad I don't go to church.:rolleyes:

I see nothing wrong with the OPs actions either. I would bring my dogs to an outside function. Why not? Great training for them, and most people like a dog's company, especially kids. For the people who are terrified of dogs, well they should probably become agoraphobic as well. I'm such a bitch, but that's IMO.:)
Seriously?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but since when has the purpose of going to church been to bond with your dog?

This concept of not going places if the dog can't come is very strange to me. I mean, I frequently turn down an invitation or decline to go to an event because I don't want to leave the dog home alone all the time. But if I could fulfill his needs and go to the event, it would never even cross my mind to stay home just because I couldn't bring him. If I didn't want to go, that would be one thing...but centering one's entire social life around what a dog can and can't do seems weirdly obsessive.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Seriously?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but since when has the purpose of going to church been to bond with your dog?

This concept of not going places if the dog can't come is very strange to me. I mean, I frequently turn down an invitation or decline to go to an event because I don't want to leave the dog home alone all the time. But if I could fulfill his needs and go to the event, it would never even cross my mind to stay home just because I couldn't bring him. If I didn't want to go, that would be one thing...but centering one's entire social life around what a dog can and can't do seems weirdly obsessive.

Thank goodness, someone else with common sense.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Seriously?

LOL Yeah, I wouldn't leave my church just because someone asked me to not bring my dogs. It is the house of God after all, not the house of Dogs. :D

I am just lucky enough to have been allowed to bring my dogs to my church in the past. They are not regular members yet though. ;)

·
Registered
976 Posts
What if there is someone there who is terrified of dogs. How would you know when you bring your dog. Isnt it unfair to that person. As far as the 2 year old getting licked in the face, I know when my children were that young I would have been furious. I was very germ consious back then ( I also didnt own dogs). Each person deserves their own space. Its not fair for us to say our dogs should be allowed at Church functions. Its simply rude!
I'm sorry, but this entire statement is just completely ridiculous. If you are that concerned with germs then keep your kid away from dogs. Dogs lick. If you let your kid around a dog's face it will get licked. I can't imagine being furious about it. Who exactly were you furious at? The owner? It's not their fault, keep your kid away. The dog? It's not the dog's fault, thats what they do. I would have to guess then that you were either furious at your kid for getting licked or at yourself for letting the kid get licked (the only answer that makes any sense).

If there is someone around that is fearful of dogs, steer clear of them. Should we not walk our dogs for fear that someone who is afraid of them may walk by? It is absurd. Well-behaved dogs should be more than welcome at parks, social-gatherings, etc. It is not rude in any way to bring a well-behaved dog to a park, especially when it wasn't mentioned that dogs were not allowed. The church doesn't have the authority to ban dogs from a public park.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
The church didn't ban the dog from the park. The church politely asked that the dog not be brought to church events.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I don't know why anyone is arguing over this. If the church didn't want anyone to bring their dogs, they could have said so. Otherwise, I see no reason why it was wrong for the OP to bring their dog to the event. Now they know they can't bring the dog anymore. No harm done, and looks like they just needed to vent.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
What is the dog going to do to the food?........are they some kinda food poisoning ninjas and I just don't know it?:D
Brutus would've secretly laced it with something to make it taste awful. "This food is terrible. It's only fit for a dog. Hey, there happens to be one here." Ka-ching.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
What would happen if everyone brought their dogs to the picnic?
Then that picnic would be loads more fun :D Really...dogs beat some of the stuffy folks out there...

Honestly, I don't think I have ever attended a church yet that would ban a pet from even being on church property every once in a while, let a lone when the function the church is putting on is outside of church property. To ban Zero from a public park was not for your church lady's deciding, however, I think it was the context of church events that she was after.

I have brought my pets to church events at times, and have always made sure before hand that it would be okay; Like Inga, mine, are not regular attenders however...church is about my relationships with people, not so much about the relationship between my dog and I.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts