Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I know a lot of people that don't allow dogs at gatherings though, simply because if one person brings a dog, even a very well behaved one, it's hard to tell others not bring dogs even not very well behaved ones.
Why is it hard?

Dog misbehaves = Dog banned. Dog behaves = Dog welcomed back.

I don't think it's hard. IMO, people just don't want to do the work so they just ban everything instead of taking dogs as the individuals that they are and judging their behavior accordingly.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Did she have a permit for the picnic area for that day? I know here the Parks Dept will pretty much "rent" out certain spots in the park for a day event. In that case, she CAN tell your dog to leave, even though it is public property, because she has requested that land for her event. It's not right, though, and the excuse "dogs shouldn't be allowed in a park" is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
What would happen if everyone brought their dogs to the picnic?
This is why my church doesnt allow people to bring their dogs. Im sure if the 100 people that came to church outings all brought their dogs there is bound to be more than a couple dogs that poop and it's not picked up. And that is more than enough for non dog people to complain! It's like at school, you cant bring your animal because then everyone else wants to bring their dog and if everyone brought their animals there is bound to be problems.

·
Registered
93 Posts
SWITCH CHURCHES? They can not ban him at any public park
Not sure one woman's request that the dog not be brought to church functions warrants changing churches. If it is a church that fulfills you and makes you happy in other ways, I'd just write this off as unfortunate and continue going. It's not easy to find a good church with which you connect.

Keep in mind.. I love my dog and would rather have her most places with me too, but dogs just make some people uncomfortable. Some people have real fears of them even. That's understandable, and as unfortunate as it is, I don't think the request is unreasonable. Unfortunate, yes. Unreasonable, no.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I must be lucky. There have been dogs at every church picnic I have been to at our church. Some of them have been at the park. One of our pastors even brings his dog inside the church. As far as I know there has never been a problem or complaint. I wouldn't bring Nanuq to a church picnic but only because she couldn't handle it. Being around that many people and other dogs would totally stress her out.

If my church did decide for some reason to ban dogs from the picnics I think it would be better received if they just let people know ahead of time. A general announcement that no dogs would be allowed at the picnic would go over a lot better than someone telling me directly not to bring my dog.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Did she have a permit for the picnic area for that day? I know here the Parks Dept will pretty much "rent" out certain spots in the park for a day event. In that case, she CAN tell your dog to leave, even though it is public property, because she has requested that land for her event. It's not right, though, and the excuse "dogs shouldn't be allowed in a park" is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
It wasn't a "get that dog out of here now" type of discussion. It was more like, "Please don't bring your dog back. Dogs don't belong in parks and they don't belong around food. Don't bring him again," type thing.

My niece did crack me up. Her question was, "Is he a boy or a girl?" I told her he was a boy to which she asked, "Is that why he's not wearing any clothes?" Apparently in a 3 yr olds mind it's ok for a boy dog to not wear clothes, but not ok for a girl dog.

·
Registered
541 Posts
What if there is someone there who is terrified of dogs. How would you know when you bring your dog. Isnt it unfair to that person. As far as the 2 year old getting licked in the face, I know when my children were that young I would have been furious. I was very germ consious back then ( I also didnt own dogs). Each person deserves their own space. Its not fair for us to say our dogs should be allowed at Church functions. Its simply rude!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Why is it hard?

Dog misbehaves = Dog banned. Dog behaves = Dog welcomed back.

I don't think it's hard. IMO, people just don't want to do the work so they just ban everything instead of taking dogs as the individuals that they are and judging their behavior accordingly.
Yes people want to avoid the confrontation, easier to just say "no dogs".

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
It wasn't a "get that dog out of here now" type of discussion. It was more like, "Please don't bring your dog back. Dogs don't belong in parks and they don't belong around food. Don't bring him again," type thing.
I see. Well then, I guess the whole permit thing doesn't really apply then. She sounds kind of loony.

..If dogs don't belong in parks, where do they belong..?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Some people may have allergies. Some people may just not like dogs. Since this was an organized church function, you have to abide by their rules or choose not to go. I can see their point in not wanting a dog right in the middle of the festivities.

Maybe look for a dog-friendly church if that's important to you...

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Ahhhh, just another reason I favor my dogs over social events. If they're not welcome, I'm not welcome. It makes things simple that way.
Amen. My mom asked me to go hiking with her on Saturday, and I was like "Let me get home first so I can grab Eevee." She was like "You can't bring your dogs." I said "Then have fun hiking, I'm staying home." I feel insulted and unwelcome if I'm forbidden to bring my dogs to a place they would otherwise be welcome at.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
What if there is someone there who is terrified of dogs. How would you know when you bring your dog. Isnt it unfair to that person. As far as the 2 year old getting licked in the face, I know when my children were that young I would have been furious. I was very germ consious back then ( I also didnt own dogs). Each person deserves their own space. Its not fair for us to say our dogs should be allowed at Church functions. Its simply rude!
I have one friend who is terrified of dogs and I steered clear of her as a courtesy thing. The two year old wanted to pet the dog and her parents asked me if it was ok. I agreed and she was petting him and patting him on the head. Then she bent down and got within an inch of his muzzle and stared him right in the eye. She got licked and thought it was cool. Her parents grabbed her and told her not to let the dog lick her face. They weren't mad at me or the dog.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Some people may have allergies. Some people may just not like dogs. Since this was an organized church function, you have to abide by their rules or choose not to go. I can see their point in not wanting a dog right in the middle of the festivities.

Maybe look for a dog-friendly church if that's important to you...
I mostly agree with LMG....I think since the church hosted the function they should be able to have rules (with in reason)....Though I think that if this person was so concerned about animals being around the party , that maybe they should have reconsidered having it at park full of nature and wildlife LOL

What if there is someone there who is terrified of dogs. How would you know when you bring your dog. Isn't it unfair to that person. As far as the 2 year old getting licked in the face, I know when my children were that young I would have been furious. I was very germ conscious back then ( I also didn't own dogs). Each person deserves their own space. Its not fair for us to say our dogs should be allowed at Church functions. Its simply rude!

I have to totally disagree with BM....If your concerned about your child being licked by my dog...get your kid out of my dogs face :D...the OP already stated that the dog was under control the whole time and children were coming up to them!...I think in no way was the OP rude...if they did not specifically state not to bring your pets then how is it rude to bring a dog to a park????..I have to laugh at parents that let there children climb all over public playgrounds and then freak out at the thought of a dog tongue LOL

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I'm with Harrise on this one...I would have jumped at the chance to bring a well behaved dog to a gathering at a park...no dogs welcome, then thanks for letting me know so I can stay home and have a beer on my patio next time. I don't think the op did anything rude at all, and I would have had to laugh if someone told me dogs don't belong in a park.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I'm with Harrise on this one...I would have jumped at the chance to bring a well behaved dog to a gathering at a park...no dogs welcome, then thanks for letting me know so I can stay home and have a beer on my patio next time. I don't think the op did anything rude at all, and I would have had to laugh if someone told me dogs don't belong in a park.

I'm pretty sure that any of the pastors around here would be offended that you'd rather stay home and drink than to come to a church function. :p It'd be one more thing for them to gossip about. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Amen. My mom asked me to go hiking with her on Saturday, and I was like "Let me get home first so I can grab Eevee." She was like "You can't bring your dogs." I said "Then have fun hiking, I'm staying home." I feel insulted and unwelcome if I'm forbidden to bring my dogs to a place they would otherwise be welcome at.
Hiking is more fun with a dog around anyway! :cool:

21 - 40 of 82 Posts