Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday our church had a picnic at a local park. Since it was at a park and not the church parking lot or church property, I figured I'd drag Zero along. He loves parks, loves people and loves when complete and total strangers feed him hamburgers they're not going to finish. Plus, a small cocker spaniel tends to be very popular with the kids and a lot of the adults. He's very well behaved and I knew he wouldn't cause any problems.

The park has several picnic tables laid out under a large pavilion. It's completely open and people were grilling their burgers next to the pavilion in an open area. I walked over and sat on one of the benches and started talking with some of the people who were already there and already eating. Zero sniffed around, then quietly stood right next to me. He didn't try to jump on anyone, he didn't try to steal food. People came by to pet him and others came by and gave him handouts. He forgave those who did not feed him as they clearly had no clue how you're supposed to treat dogs at picnics.

Later on my 3 yr old niece who had never met him came up and asked me all kinds of questions. "Does he bite?" "What's his name?" "How come he's not wearing any clothes?" She insisted on walking him so I attached a second leash to his collar and handed it to her. I don't trust him to not pull on the leash and I didn't want her to have a bad experience with a dog on her first time being with one. We walked around the park with Zero and my niece holding the second leash and still asking me tons of questions. Many of them were identical to what she had asked earlier, but this is how 3 yr olds work I guess. Zero was awesome. The worse thing he did was lick a little girl's face when she got within about an inch of his muzzle. The kid thought it was cool, but her parents did not want her to repeat the experience.

Then I was asked not to bring my dog to church outings in the future. I was told that dogs don't need to be anywhere around food. Zero made no attempts to steal food from people and only ate what people handed to him or tossed on the ground in front of him. Plus, he wasn't even around the food. We were under the picnic pavilion and the food was being cooked on the grass surrounding the pavilion. I was also told that dogs do not belong at parks. To say I was offended would be an understatement. The whole time I was there the dog did not bark, sat or stood right next to me, did not steal food and was leashed and completely under my control the entire time. No one seemed bothered by him except for the woman who asked me not to bring him back. (And unfortunately, she has the authority to do that.)

It seemed to me that he was banned simply because he was a dog not because of anything he did. It was a picnic we were at that was being held at a public park. If it was being held on the church property, I probably would not have brought him, but it was a public park. If it was an outdoor church service at the park, I would not have brought him as it probably wouldn't be appropriate. I'm ticked that my dog got banned without doing anything at all that was even remotely out of line. If he had jumped on the table or stolen food from someone's plate, I would understand. All he did was be a dog and a well-behaved one at that.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
She cant ban him from public parks. what would she do if she seen some one else walking their dog nearby? I honestly would still bring him to outdoor functions that are held on public property, where dogs are allowed to be. As she has no right to ban anything from a public park. period.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Even though your dog was so well behaved she was probably worried if she let you bring your dog, next time others who did not have as well trained dogs would bring theirs. It is a shame that the well trained dogs have to suffer because of other people's untrained dogs.

·
Registered
301 Posts
SWITCH CHURCHES? They can not ban him at any public park

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Even though your dog was so well behaved she was probably worried if she let you bring your dog, next time others who did not have as well trained dogs would bring theirs. It is a shame that the well trained dogs have to suffer because of other people's untrained dogs.
This is a really good point.

I'm really surprised the woman had an issue with Zero being there. I think that is extremely unfair. Did you ask her why she didn't want him to return?

I would also say ignore what she said and follow public park rules, but I realize that could cause a lot of problems for you.
If you don't feel comfortable asking her why she has banned Zero, perhaps you could write her a note explaining why you brought him, why you are offended that he is banned from future church gatherings, and ask her why she does not want him to return despite his good behaviour.

I think you and Zero definitely deserve a thorough explanation. I'm sorry it turned out this way.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I hadn't thought of this, but this is definitely understandable.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
This is a really good point.

I'm really surprised the woman had an issue with Zero being there. I think that is extremely unfair. Did you ask her why she didn't want him to return?

I would also say ignore what she said and follow public park rules, but I realize that could cause a lot of problems for you.
If you don't feel comfortable asking her why she has banned Zero, perhaps you could write her a note explaining why you brought him, why you are offended that he is banned from future church gatherings, and ask her why she does not want him to return despite his good behaviour.

I think you and Zero definitely deserve a thorough explanation. I'm sorry it turned out this way.
It is a very good point, but it wasn't the explanation given.

I know a lot of people that don't allow dogs at gatherings though, simply because if one person brings a dog, even a very well behaved one, it's hard to tell others not bring dogs even not very well behaved ones.

But if it's public park I don't see how they could stop you, or even me for that matter, from showing up with a dog. Unless the park rents out for private events.

·
Banned
894 Posts
What would happen if everyone brought their dogs to the picnic?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hadn't thought of that, but that's probably part of if not all of the reason. Zero is trained and well behaved so I bring him. I probably would not bring Brutus because he is not so trained and not so well behaved. Brutus would be trying to steal food off plates and following his nose into all kinds of problems. This is why I leave him at home for stuff like this. That may be what she's afraid of.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
But if it's public park I don't see how they could stop you,
They can't. She ASKED that the dog not be brought to further church outings. And I totally understand the request. If everyone brought their dog, there would likely be some kind of trouble (a child being bitten because she wouldn't share her hot dog?) and the church could hold some legal as well as moral responsibility. I don't think it's an unreasonable request at all.

·
Registered
233 Posts
some people mightve felt uncomfortable with a dog just being 'around'. not all people like dogs, well behaved or not. it makes people who are scared of dogs nervous and uncomfortable and that mightve been part of the reason for asking you not to bring zero anymore.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Ahhhh, just another reason I favor my dogs over social events. If they're not welcome, I'm not welcome. It makes things simple that way.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahhhh, just another reason I favor my dogs over social events. If they're not welcome, I'm not welcome. It makes things simple that way.
I'm getting to be the same way. My dog won't pretend to like people he really doesn't and won't bother making small talk with complete strangers in the interest of being friendly. I kind of prefer his company.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I hadn't thought of that, but that's probably part of if not all of the reason. Zero is trained and well behaved so I bring him. I probably would not bring Brutus because he is not so trained and not so well behaved. Brutus would be trying to steal food off plates and following his nose into all kinds of problems. This is why I leave him at home for stuff like this. That may be what she's afraid of.
Not everyone is responsible enough to leave their poorly-trained dogs at home.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I don't know many churches around here that would be okay with someone bringing a dog, even a well behaved one. I'm not sure why. I guess it goes along with many things. I know a lot of people that I go to church with probably don't think dogs belong any place other than the backyard. While our Pastor might not mind if I brought one of my dogs, the other people might.
But if it was a public park, where dogs are allowed, I'd bring my dog. Usually when we have church functions like that we break off into family groups eventually and then just sort of mingle around (therefor my dog would be at my group and not leave that spot).

I don't think her reasoning had anything to do with the fear that other people would bring their dogs to future gatherings. By what you said it seemed she came across as being a little rude, and that she was assuming the dog contaminated the food with all of it's germs. Honestly, she seems like one of the people that would be at our dog park (where dogs are allowed all over as long as they're leashed) and complain that there were dogs there.

Maybe you should have explained to her you were doing CGC training and you weren't trying to offend anyone. Not that it would have helped, but it still would have been funny to throw in that you actually had him there for a "real purpose" (aside from you just wanting him there with you) and not just to rain on her parade.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Yup. I check first. No dog, No Me. I work M-F and don't get enough time with my dog. I am not crating her and leaving her for hours on a weekend to be with people.

I'm getting to be the same way. My dog won't pretend to like people he really doesn't and won't bother making small talk with complete strangers in the interest of being friendly. I kind of prefer his company.
Small talk is the WORST. I hate it. I tend to hang out with Engineers or Mechanics or Farmers because we end up talking about concrete rebar (and whether or not Epoxy coated, Galvanized or uncoated is best on structures exposed to winter salt) or how to rebuild a carburetor or whether or not a John Deere tractor is the best still.

No room for fakery. Most like dogs and cats too.

Not everyone is responsible enough to leave their poorly-trained dogs at home.
This is so true. However, if a dog is misbehaved, the owner can be asked to leave or asked to remove the dog and come back. Easy enough.

You know.. I took Atka to a Weight Watchers meeting (held in a barn mind you). She laid quietly and was good. Did it twice (when she was a pup). Someone objected and the whole thing exploded. Because she is a GSD and they "hated dogs." I quit going. Saves me $40 a month too.

Here is a good one.. they have walks to raise money for things like Kidney Disease research and other good causes. Most fund raiser walks do not allow dogs even if you offer to pay for the dog to walk or even if the dog gets sponsers!. Doesn't matter if the dog has her CGC or if she is a TDI dog that goes to a hospital.. most of these fund raiser walks ban dogs (around here).

I check b4 doing things. I am so with your Hulk and Harisse.. much nicer time with my dog than with most people.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
It's a shame and I would feel offended and even outraged as well... Who is she to ban you from a park?

Now I can agree "church functions"/"church outings"... I can somewhat understand and agree to there being a "no dog" rule. Like others have stated, just because you bring a well-mannered pooch doesn't mean next time people won't bring their "jerk-of-a-dog"...

But at the same time, it was at a park...

I don't know, I'm like a lot of others here too, I don't go out much just because Donatello's not welcome.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's a shame and I would feel offended and even outraged as well... Who is she to ban you from a park?

Now I can agree "church functions"/"church outings"... I can somewhat understand and agree to there being a "no dog" rule. Like others have stated, just because you bring a well-mannered pooch doesn't mean next time people won't bring their "jerk-of-a-dog"...

But at the same time, it was at a park...

I don't know, I'm like a lot of others here too, I don't go out much just because Donatello's not welcome.
Well, she speaks for the church, not the park. I'm sure if I took my dog to the park on my own she'd have no issue since she wouldn't be around. I was basically asked not to bring the dog to church functions in the future regardless of where they were held. Like I said, if this was a picnic in the parking lot of the church I would not have brought the dog. I figured because it was a park it was fair game and he was a well behaved guy. I left my problem child at home. The only trouble he caused was licking a 2 yr old's face and the kid actually liked that. Kids are weird.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Sounds to me like the church has their priorities mixed up.

Plus...it's a public park...they can't ban you from it :rolleyes: Glad my church has lots of dog lovers in it!!! hehehe :p

·
Registered
296 Posts
SWITCH CHURCHES? They can not ban him at any public park
I kind of agree. I took it as a red flag that the members of your church may not be the kind of people you want to be around if they cannot love and accept a member of your family (granted it's a little different if your dog had been obnoxious)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts