Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My dog just had a stroke yesterday. The vet said it was a stroke, and it has all the symptoms but im low on money and cant afford all the tests. He cant use either of his right legs, and i am supposed to give him physical therapy. It is tough to care for him though because he cannot walk or stand to piddle or poop. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help this whole horrible experience a bit less rough for him? Hes a medium sized dog about the size of a golden retriever. Buddy (thats his name) is my best friend and I only want to make it easier on the poor guy. So anything that could help us in any way would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Ron if you look at the top of the forum there's a link to organizations that can help with the medical bills, I'd also suggest getting 'Care Credit' to help you stretch the costs over time. As far as helping your friend yourself, since he can't walk you can use a towel to support his back end so he can get out the door to use the bathroom.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Depending on how bad it is, and if / when he will recover, I have seen people with "wheelchairs" for their dog's with health problems. You might be able to make one if you're at all handy, maybe you could find directions online. It will only help for getting around, you'd probably still have to help him go potty, and he won't be able to lay, but at least he'll have some freedom.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I am sorry that your boy is having a tough time of things right now. Dogs do have strokes but they are very rare but there is another condition that is a lot more common and it's symptoms can be identical to a stroke. It's called Vestibular Disease and the most common cause is an inner issue. I've heard about a few dogs with this condition who regained their motor skills in a week or two and lived several more years. Here is a link to more information on Vestibular Disease:

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/vestibular.html

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts