Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 year old Old English Sheepdog mix. For the most part, we are happy with his behavior except one problem. He goes insane when the UPS truck pulls up in front of our house and barks like crazy. Since we live in a small court, and do most of our shopping online, there's a pretty high chance that when the UPS truck comes, it has a package for us. So, the driver rings the doorbell.

I believe that my dog is simply protecting the house. He barks, and the UPS truck goes away, therefore re-enforcing the behavior. Maybe he learned to associate the sound of the truck with upcoming doorbell. I have no idea how to stop it.

To add to the problem, the UPS truck comes around noon on weekdays, and we are rarely home to correct the behavior. I've just been tele-commuting these past few weeks and witnessed the behavior for the first time.

What can we do?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Random doorbell ringing will desensitize him, to where doorbell no longer means "stranger at the door."

I wonder, if you could somehow arrange to come through the door concurrently with the sound of the truck, if he would start to associate that sound with a happy event. Wonder how many repititions it would take............just a thought.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Dixie goes crazy when she hears the UPS or FED-EX truck too but it is mostly because they are usually bringing something for her. The UPS truck means goodies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts