Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dog doesn't like any dog clothing, harness's or anything like that so I have never made him wear one. I bought him a body glove which is a dog life jacket and he just doesn't move when its on. I try tempting him with treats and everything he wont even move.

Can anyone help me? He is still wearing it and still sitting still, Ill probably take it off now, though its only been on for 5 minutes.

·
Banned
296 Posts
can you take him for a walk with it on? one of my dogs freezes up when you put any equipment on her but once we start walking she forgets about it. if you get out the leash and say the magic word, and he STILL doesn't move then maybe it's just not for him? otherwise I'd say take it on and off several times a day to get him used to it and keep offering rewards while he has it on.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Some dogs are very sensative to anything that covers their body. I think for the same reason things like body wraps and thundershirts can quiet and calm some dogs, for others, they make them go deep inside. I have one dog who starts to get still if I put a harness on her. If I put a body wrap on her for demonstration purposes (which I don't do after seening how strongly it effected her), she would start blinking like she was going to sleep. If you want to desensitize him to this, I might start with something less "snug" and yes, walk him around in it, feed him in it, and then go to something a little more noticeable. Do VERY brief periods. At first almost just put it on/take it off. If he's worried about it, this may help. If it's a physiological reaction it may not help as much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts