Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He knows the come command very well and has been off leash for many weeks in our park. If he sees another dog, he'll go and play but return as soon as we call him.
Today: We were playing frisbee when a woman with two shih tzus came by. My dog ran up to them but they ignored him. We called him out, with sausage in our left hand and cheese in our right. He wouldn't return. We tried everything, running in a different direction, bending dosn, everything. We even ignored him. He followed them for so long we had to run up and get him, and it was practically a mile where we started playing frisbee. He just turned round, look at us, and ran off with the woman again. He ignored us and he just kept on playing with their dog, even when the woman picked them up.
My mum says to ignore him, walk in a different direction, even if he is out of sight. Then he will come back. Help! What shall we do next time it happens?

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Tell that woman to stop so you can go over there and pick up your dog! :D

Whenever a loose dog starts following me and my dog, we always pause so that the owner can catch up, or wait for the dog to lose interest and head home. If we kept walking they'll keep following us.

·
Registered
348 Posts
1) No, don't let your dog wander off out of sight. This isn't guaranteed to make him come back, and it's really not worth the risk of losing your dog. It's also extremely irresponsible and, quite frankly, rude, to let your dog continue to harass the lady and her shih tzus (i know you couldn't figure out how to stop it, but "giving up" is not an acceptable solution).

2) What do you mean next time it happens? Why is there going to be a next time? Clearly you've learned that you can't trust your dog off leash because he doesn't have a reliable recall, and clearly, you don't want to risk his safety by allowing him to chase after other dogs across roads, sidewalks, through hazards, near people who could mistake the intentions of your dog, etc. Because you're a responsible dog owner, you're going to keep him leashed while you work on making sure you can 100% call him off of dogs he wants to play with and limit his off-leash time to fenced in yards or dog parks.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
CricketLoops is right. There really shouldn't be a next time. You need to keep a long line on your dog when you are playing frisbee.

Your dog may be friendly, but not everyone is. Dog Aggressive dogs need walks too, and they are kept safely on leash. When your dog approaches, it creates a huge problem for the handler and sets back training significantly. It is also not fair to other handlers who may have to shoo your dog away or stop just for you.

If it does happen, tell the person to stop walking so you can catch up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts