Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When ever we want to get our 10 month puppy to bed in the laundry or to go outside for play he refuses to move. Then when he come to move him outside he drops to the ground (mind you he is a ridgeback x mastiff so he is heavy). Because of this it makes it hard to move him.
To me it seems like he's stubborn but there could be a real reason, if so I would like to know why and how to fix it.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
This is a stress reaction based in fear. You need to make the thing you need him to do fun for him. Force will only increase oppositional reflex and fear. It is not stubborn behavior.

I often ask people who have dogs that are not doing what they want, "From the dog's perspective, why SHOULD the dog do this (and because you said so is not the answer)."

For the laundry room or crate I would take a look at this site. Again, the object is to make what you want the dog to do fun and pleasant for the dog.

For going outside you can do similar things. As you head for the door, toss a bit of food (like a piece of kibble) in front of him to chase and get. As you open the door, toss the kibble in the other direction away from the door. Once the door is open toss the kibble toward the open door and then out the door. As he come back to you toss kibble behind you. Make going out fun and make it a non-event.

The object is to change the focus and to reduce the stress and make everything he does with you FUN.

It is also worth noting that at 10 months he may be going through a fear period. You don't want to exacerbate that.. so increase the fun and make all these things non events.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your reply I will start trying that from now on. I'm assuming this applies to everything (when he drops), because he does it everywhere. if he doesn't want to go down stairs or get of the bed or out of the kitchen. does the same training apply?
thank you.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
thank you for your reply I will start trying that from now on. I'm assuming this applies to everything (when he drops), because he does it everywhere. if he doesn't want to go down stairs or get of the bed or out of the kitchen. does the same training apply?
thank you.
Try it. See if it works. The object is to change his mind about being stressed and make him think everything is a game and there is something in it for him.

Let us know how it works out for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts