Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 year old black lab named Sally Rose. She is exceptionally smart. I have never abused her or neglected here. In fact, I am an Animal Rights Activist and love all animals. Sally has always been my baby. My daughter moved in with us about 6 months ago. Sally ahs always loved her and she has always been good to Sally. A couple of months ago my daughter and I got into a huge argument. I was in my room with the door closed and kept screaming for her to leave me alone. Sally was in the room with me. Since then Sally will not have anything to do with me. She is constantly with my daughter. Even if I walk into a room where Sally is she will get up and walk out. I am heartbroken. I don't know what to do. When I go to her and give her hugs and kisses she acts like she barely tolerates it and then gets up and walks over to my daughter or my husband. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I would always take the dog to the vet for a change in normal behavior to rule out medical issues first.
OTOH:
Where was the dog when the argument occurred? If it was the argument it could be a fear response-- assuming the dog has not had such an experience before-- she could be cueing in to your voice. It very could be the way you acted during the fight that has put her off. I would think you could work with her to reassure her, with treats and soft voice (what you would normally do)

·
Registered
225 Posts
My 18-month old maltese/terrier does something similar. She hides in her crate whenever my wife or I raise our voices with the kids -(when we can't get their faces away from the TV, computer, or tablet) She won't come out until she senses everything has calmed down, and when she does, she will avoid whoever raised their voice and often snuggle with whomever she feels is the victim. It can last days or until we force one-on-one time with her. I have found dedicating time with just her, (playing, petting, rewarding, etc.) brings her back to being our sidekick almost instantly. At times, I've had to leash her just so she wouldn't hide, but she always comes around much quicker when we invest the time and force positive interaction. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I was in my room with the door closed and kept screaming for her to leave me alone. Sally was in the room with me.
Cut out a piece of your original post, the yelling could have scared her enough that she's uneasy around you now.

Lots of love, yummy food, praise and even training can help slowly build back her trust in you.

I underline slowly because it will take time

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the reassurance. We did take her to the vet and she is perfectly healthy. I am sure she is just mad at me. I have been giving her extra attention and she seems to be warming up a little. Right now I am sick but when I get better I will shower her with attention. Thanks, again, for the responses!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news! I have been sick for about 4 days and haven't been able to be up and about but when I went downstairs Sally wagged her tail. When I went to her and leaned over she gave me kisses! The relief washed over me like water. I guess she figures I have been punished enough.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I'm glad she's warming up, but keep in mind that she wasn't "mad" or "punishing" you. From her perspective, you randomly turned into an angry, screaming demon-creature and it scared her. It takes some time for a sensitive dog to recover from that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts