Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i noticed my dog doesnt enjoy eating. i got him from a shelter in NOV he ate very happily the first month or so. but now if its time to eat he just kinda walks with his head down over to the food, smells it and sits down. hell NEVER eat in the morning absolutely refuses (wasnt like that when i first got him), hell eat at noon. and not even if i put it in a plate for him, i gotta hand feed him the canned food. and usually at like 5 he ates a small amount of boiled chicken, and at night i used to feed him a full bowl of canned food, but never really wanted it. he just walks in with his head held low and sits. i usually puta piece up to his nose and he eats a peice and if he likes it hell eat more. never happy about eating. what could be wrong hes very healthy hes been to the vet for checkups.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Maybe he's not hungry. When you first got him, he didn't know when and where his food would come from next. Now he knows it will be there waiting for him. I think he'll eat when he is hungry.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Perhaps get a tastier brand of food?

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I would say stop babying him with the hand feeding and the chicken and the wet food. Decide what you want him to eat, give it to him, and take it up again if he doesn't eat it in a reasonable amount of time. Healthy dogs don't starve themselves, so he'll eat when he decides it's time.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I would say stop babying him with the hand feeding and the chicken and the wet food. Decide what you want him to eat, give it to him, and take it up again if he doesn't eat it in a reasonable amount of time. Healthy dogs don't starve themselves, so he'll eat when he decides it's time.
I agree with this.......if he still wont eat after a few days...then I would go back to your vet or go to another vet for a 2nd opinion.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with this.......if he still wont eat after a few days...then I would go back to your vet or go to another vet for a 2nd opinion.
yeah i did that like a couple days ago, i just put a plate of dry food on the floor let him out and he went to it ate a couple bites and walked away. wasnt much though. i think your right if i starve him hell eat, but i think if i ever baby him again hell take advantage of that.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
trickaboo - i have the same problem with Daisy. She hates eating in the mornings and on weekends for some odd reason and yes, i've resorted to hand feeding her at times too. Like FilleBelle said, healthy dogs won't starve themselves - he'll eat when he's ready.
On a funny note - Daisy loves bird food and vegetables. I think she's vegetarian :D What i started doing with Daisy, is feeding her green beans after dinner just to assure myself she's full. Lady and Bubba won't come near the green beans but Daisy will eat them without hesitation. Let me also say, Lady is 20 lbs., Bubba 18 lbs., my vegetarian girl Daisy 13 lbs. and healthy at that - go figure :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts