Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I take Rock for a walk, he will walk for 15-20 minutes until he gets stubborn and does not want to walk anymore?? He will stop and stare at me and I tell him, come Rock now and he does not budge.

Then when I walk towards him he leads me back to home.
How do I get my dog out of this habit?

I try to be stern but he is stubborn sometimes.

Maybe it is because he was used to being locked in one area for the whole day?

Seems like when we get home all he does is want to sleep on the couch.

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
Has Rock seen a vet lately to rule out any medical problems. How's his weight?

·
Super Moderator
3,354 Posts
If he doesn't want to walk...he doesn't want to walk. Not much you can do about it. Your dog is 6, right? 15-20 minutes is actually a decent walk for a dog of that age, especially if he is already inclined to be lazy.

Some things to consider, is he overweight? Overweight dogs tend to be lazier. How long have you had him? He just may not be settled in, so doesn't want to walk far. Is he in pain? Have you had him to the vet?

If he has no medical issues, he might just be a very low-energy dog who enjoys sleeping on the couch more than anything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has Rock seen a vet lately to rule out any medical problems. How's his weight?
He did go last Thursday for his neuter and shots. I am taking him again for a check up. We just adopted him so I am not sure how he usually was on walks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If he doesn't want to walk...he doesn't want to walk. Not much you can do about it. Your dog is 6, right? 15-20 minutes is actually a decent walk for a dog of that age, especially if he is already inclined to be lazy.

Some things to consider, is he overweight? Overweight dogs tend to be lazier. How long have you had him? He just may not be settled in, so doesn't want to walk far. Is he in pain? Have you had him to the vet?

If he has no medical issues, he might just be a very low-energy dog who enjoys sleeping on the couch more than anything.
He is 6 correct. He used to be very thin from what his foster said but he is about 75 pounds, and he is a pitbull. ( or at least what his papers said). He did go to the vet last Thursday for shots and neuter. He does not seem like he is in any pain. I believe he is lazy because when he was younger, he was locked in a basement all day used as a stud for breeding, his owner went to jail and then he was locked in a bathroom for the day and only taken out once a day.

He may just be lazy since he was used to being alone and locked in one room, so he must have slept a lot.

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
If I were neutered less than a week ago, I'd figure a 15-20 minute walk was a major accomplishment.

Please remember that dogs don't show pain the way we do. They can be incredibly stoic.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
If he's been kept kenneled in a small space his entire life, he probably just doesn't have the endurance to go any longer than what he's doing. Expecting him to go on a long walk would be akin to expecting an middle-aged person who's had a desk job for the past 20 years and never exercised, and expecting them to be able to go out and run a 5K race without any preparation.

If he's too worn out to go longer than 15 minutes, map out your route to take 15 minutes. Eventually, you'll notice that he's not as worm out at the end of 15 minutes, and you'll be able to add a bit more distance.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
What RonE and LeoRose said. Plus, if he has spent a signification part of his life locked in a basement and was adopted by you recently, he's been through quite a bit and the real world is possibly overwhelming for him. Perhaps stop thinking of him as stubborn and lazy and consider how you can help him come out of his shell and enjoy life more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What RonE and LeoRose said. Plus, if he has spent a signification part of his life locked in a basement and was adopted by you recently, he's been through quite a bit and the real world is possibly overwhelming for him. Perhaps stop thinking of him as stubborn and lazy and consider how you can help him come out of his shell and enjoy life more.
He was adopted after being locked in a basement and bathroom with a family and kids, so he did not come straight from that situation. They were not allowed to have a dog since it was public housing and he was fostered again, and the lady who fostered him said he liked going for walks, so there is a gap between the abuse and now.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Ask the foster mom how far he liked to walk! Maybe she considers 15 minutes a proper walk.

He could be fearful. If he was kept in a small space it's possible going too far from home makes him uncomfortable.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Then when I walk towards him he leads me back to home.
How do I get my dog out of this habit?
Generally, dogs require motivation of some sort. A good example of motivation might be the proper use of food treats, or a squeaky toy, etc. Being stern will usually have the opposite effect, as will forcing your dog by pulling on the leash (creates what's known as opposition reflex) if that's what you are doing. And issuing ultimatums such as "now!" will do nothing but raise your own blood pressure.

I would suggest waiting a while until he's fully healed from his surgery, before starting an exercise program. If he's six years old, then waiting a couple more weeks won't hurt. I would also begin the program with 10 min. walks total. So, five minutes going, then five minutes for the return home, with lots of positive motivation.

·
Super Moderator
3,354 Posts
I agree, it may change as he heals from his neuter and he grows more accustomed to you. Or, he may always be a lazy dog who prefers short strolls, and then more nap time. I mean, 6 yrs old is getting up there for a 75 lb. dog. I believe 7 is considered a senior (that's when senior bloodwork starts at my vet's office, at least). Whatever the case may be, don't force him. Let him take his time for now, and encourage good behavior with treats.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I agree with the others too about waiting a bit longer then trying again but for shorter walks.

It could be that he just doesn't want to go beyond his comfort area. Maybe he thinks he's getting too far from home?

·
Registered
526 Posts
If there's nothing medically wrong, then be happy! My young dog would be happy to walk 15 MILES in a day if I let him. lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts