Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I am usually the one answering the questions on here but today I have gotten myself in quit a predicament...
I am a owner of 2 Lovely Pomeranian's one is 4 months weighting at just 2 pounds and the other is a year weighting at 5. They are sweetest dogs and would never hurt a fly. I know of people don't like dogs period and I respect that. My dogs are a absoluter hit here at the apartment's I live in, the children come over daily and want to play with them and our neighbors sit outside with treats just waiting for me to bring them out! So I have gotten accustom custom to letting them out without their leashes and once a day. I will let them run around in the courtyard and play with the kids. They are disciplined and well mannered, They mind me and stick by my side 99/ percent of the time, but now my older one likes meeting people and if he sees someone new he will run up to them to say (hello)... he doesn't jump or bark and he will heel till you reach down and pet him, I have these dogs very well trained.
But today I had them outside without their leash so they could get a little exercise and run around before bed. I saw that "Meanie" my 1 year old had seen someone and he looked at me and started to run up to them, I thought it was someone he knew so I didn't worry (like I said I know everyone in my building) He wasn't but a few feet around the corner and I heard a girl screaming at the top of her lungs!! I yelled for Meanie to heel!!! He sat down and just looked at me wasn't jumping or doing anything just sitting there looking at this woman while she is screaming at the top of her lungs, clutching behind her boyfriend/ or husband. I assure her that he is fine and doesn't bite, I reach down to pick him up while he is sitting there heeled like a good boy. This woman starts yelling at me telling me she is going to report me! I asked "for what Mam?" she screams for not having you f*in dog on a leash! She said she is calling the pound and having that creature put to sleep! I said "lady you can't have my dog put to sleep he hasn't done anything!" She replied with "I will say that dog bit me"! I look at her boyfriend and asked if she was serious... and he just stood there with no reply. She was calling the police on her phone screaming that there was a vicious dog outside that muled her! she's screaming at me calling me a F*in Bi*ch, and I'm not obeying the leash laws she will make sure my dog is put to sleep for me being a bad owner!
Might I add that my dog weights 5 pounds!!!!!!!!!! I'm so scared at this point I am looking around to see if any of my neighbors are outside in hoping that I have a witness but there is no one to be found. At this point realize I need to take matters into my own hands and I'm sick of being nice to this crazy lady. So I tell her if she doesn't hang up the phone we are going to have problems. I start to charge at her, because I am freaking out and I don't know what else to do! I will not have some crazy phobic dog hater lie and say my dog bit her and have him put to sleep! I don't know what the leash laws are here in Atlanta GA and I can't risk it! She runs and hides behind her boyfriend who then tells me to back off like I'm the problem! I said not till she hangs up that phone! She actually drops the phone on the ground! I look at her and I say "you need to clam down, my dog did noting of the sort and you can't prove it and if you call the police out here and they take one look at my dog they will probably laugh at you, so I suggest you leave off the premises because you obviously don't live here! Let me sit here and threaten to kill one of your family members and see how you like it!" I immediately ran with my dogs in my arms as fast as I could, I ran to my neighbors house and hid my dog there in case they came to my house trying to take my dog. I'm so scared I don't know what to do. I am online trying to look up the laws and what not. I mean it is obvious that my dog is not dangerous but I know that for the past couple of years they have really been cracking down hard on the dog attacks & leash laws & such. I mean If this woman gets her boyfriend to testify for her and she might be crazy enough to inflict marks on herself. I mean look how she acted because my little five pound dog ran up to her wagging his tail! I completely respect peoples fears of animals, which is why I keep such a good eye on my dogs. I spend allot of time training my dogs because I have had much bigger dogs in the past that people normally would fear, but I never thought I would see the day that someone freaked out over a powder puff with 4 legs! If anyone has any answers for me I would greatly appreciate it being as I am scared to death of losing my child that did nothing wrong!! It was technically my fault for not keeping him on a leash but I thought this was a safe enough enviorment for him and when does it get to the point to where I can't even let him off his leash for a minute to run around and be a dog, even being as disciplined as he is?....

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Your post is too long and I'm too lazy to read. To answer the question posted in your title, leash laws are specific to specific municipalities. You'd need to get in touch with local animal control to find out what they are. In any case I don't know why it's such a big deal for you walk your dog on a leash.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have no idea about leash laws in your area, call animal control and ask them for details. For a first time complaint against you not using a leash, though, you would most likely get a fine and a warning but they wouldn't put your dog down. For the future, though, just remember that there are crazies EVERYWHERE and its your job to protect your dogs from them so I would just use leashes from now on. You can get long lines if you want them to be able to run around and burn up energy.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Your post is too long and I'm too lazy to read. To answer the question posted in your title, leash laws are specific to specific municipalities. You'd need to get in touch with local animal control to find out what they are. In any case I don't know why it's such a big deal for you walk your dog on a leash.
Not sure what to advise you on the dog but if you break up your post into obvious paragraphs it will make it much easier for people to read (or at least skim and get a better picture of what happened vs. this kinda response where they didn't evne do any reading but the thread title).

Anyways, as some one else said I'm pretty sure you'd get fined for the first time. But not sure what happens when some one claims the dog bit her. I know my neighbor's dog gets loose and her neighbor beat it with a wood board and told her he'd just claim the dog was attacking him (and pretty much did just that when she called the cops). She sued him and won by the way, despite her dog not being leashed and we do have leash laws here (it did help though the guy beat the dog on the tail end which makes it very hard to believe he was defending himself from the butt end of hte dog).

She may have to provide proof of the bite (innocent until proven guilty) and even if she tries to harm herself you may find a good lawyer might be able to point out the damage that she fakes does not have the markings of a dog bite.

Also, you can always try a tieout while you are out with the dogs or a doggy pen so that you don't have to worry about this happening again.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
The lady handled herself poorly, but I also think you did as well.
Firstly, whether your dog is 5 lbs or 50 lbs, someone who is afraid of dogs isn't going to appreciate a strange dog running up to them. Since your dog is obedient, when you see him going to greet someone YOU do not know, call him back to you and have him heel at your side.
Secondly, to avoid similar incidents in the future, if you want to exercise your dogs offleash, find an appropriate offleash area for them to run around in. An apartment complex is not appropriate whether your neighbours love your dogs or not.
Thirdly, if something like that happens again (although if you follow my above advice it won't), simply call your dog to you, calmly tell them they have nothing to worry about, and walk away. Losing your cool and "charging" someone will only make matters worse for your dog.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
The woman was a jerk, to be sure. But, the mistake was yours in having your dog off leash, and allowing him to run off to greet people. He may be friendly, but, she didn't know that. Whether a dog is 5 lbs. or 105 lbs. makes no difference. Chalk this one up to experience, and keep your dogs on a leash in the future. Hopefully, she'll let it go. This time.

I take my dogs to work, where they're off lead. However, they have been trained to wait for a release cue from me before they go up to someone, even if that person is coaxing them to come. Some people have great fear of dogs, and I don't want one of my dogs to scare anyone.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
You should have let her call AC... Unless she had a bite mark on her, then you had no problem at all. She would have been in a lot more trouble then you for filing a false police report. You would have had a small fine, but that is it.

Loosing your temper is NOT the way to handle yourself. It's just going to cause more issues.

From now on, I'd keep your dogs on leash. Seems like that was a wake up call for you.

GL and I hope that woman trips over a rock in front of many people. Not to hurt herself, just her pride.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I think the laws vary from county to county and city to city in GA. I live in the metro area but not in Atl city limits, and here a dog has to be on a leash or under voice control of a competent adult, or on the owners property. Maybe more strict in the city limits, but I think at most you'd be looking at getting a ticket, if anyone even had time to respond to such a complaint...around here you can hardly get AC to come out at all. If she wanted to say the dog bit her, she'd need to show a bite.

For now I'd try not to worry about it, and get a couple of long lines to walk your dogs on in the future...she sounds like a crazy person, but I've had an experience with someone who is extremely afraid of dogs too...it was bizarre, a grown woman who had come over to my house, stood on my couch and screamed and cried hysterically until I crated my 20 lb spaniel. It took me several minutes to even figure out what the problem was, she was so incoherent. At any rate, some people have extreme phobias like that, maybe she was one of them.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
LoL I'd just like to see the reaction when they get there and see the big scarey pomeranian that's scaren this lady so bad.

Also, I'd get with your appartment managment. If you have their permission to have your dog off the leash, I don't think animal control can fine you for a leash law on that property. I think leash laws apply to public places. and an apartment community is their property. And if that lady isn't a resident she really has no say other than to not go to that appartment again.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
i am really sorry that this has happened to you. losing your temper in any situation like that is not going to be good. losing your temper in general will not usually lead to a good place.

i also found it a little strange that you state right at the start of the post that you are the one who is usually answering questions here not asking them, but you have only 2 posts on this forum and they are both questions...

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I live in Duluth, GA, right next-door to ATL.

I had a *similar* situation with a woman at my apartment complex. The cops were called and everything on us, (we both have dogs, and she was the one leaving hers off the leash when they charged me and my dog and started attacking my dog who was on a leash!)

There is a leash law here, a very strict one, and I guarantee you that it's in your lease agreement with your complex that your dogs are to be on a leash at all times. It not only protects you in an incident like yours, but also protects the complex from a lawsuit.

I hate to say it, but you need to keep your dogs on a leash... It doesn't matter if they're nice or not, friendly to everyone, you will have at least one person that is going to get upset and call AC on you. The rules apply to everyone, and I find the rule protects my Donatello more, since he's always on a leash.

The worst that they would have done was give you a warning to keep your dogs on a leash, that's what they did to the woman in my incident. If they get called again because they're not on a leash, they'll take them away (supposedly)...

It's too risky, for the sanity of yourself, I'd keep them on a leash, I know it's not fair- But it takes one person to break the rules that can get everyone in trouble.

·
Banned
749 Posts
That must have been in a previous life.
I have to agree. How many questions could be answered with a post count of 2 and one of the two post's being this one.

To the OP, If I were you I would keep the dog on leash at all times mostly for the safety of your own dogs. If you want to give them an off leash effect then go get a 16' training leash. If a whacko woman approaches again then you could always pull the dog back to you.

As soon as she said she is going to call the police and tell them your dog bit her I would have let her, in fact I would have encouraged her to because she would have to prove that she was bitten. She would not have been able to prove it so there was really no need to get so upset over the situation.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
i also found it a little strange that you state right at the start of the post that you are the one who is usually answering questions here not asking them, but you have only 2 posts on this forum and they are both questions...
I was thinking the same thing...

That must have been in a previous life.
hahaha oh RonE, you're too funny.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Now that I'm at work and actually have time to read the post I'll stick with my original comment. Why not just keep the dog on a leash? I am a dog person (obviously) and I'm not afraid of dogs. Yet, I'm still wary of any unleashed dog that runs up to me. I don't know the dog. I don't know what the dog is all about or what they want.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I believe in your previous post you mentioned that your dogs are not neutered. An unneutered dog no matter what it's size really needs to be on a leash. Too many possible bad scenerios to mention. Where I live you cannot license a dog that is not spayed or neutered unless you are a breeder and then you have to pay a hefty fee for that option. If animal control gets involved and your dog isn't licensed because it isn't neutered the odds would definately be against you. I don't know what the laws are where you live but it would be wise to neuter your dogs and keep them on a leash.

My dog is always on a leash when outside. I don't feel that it prevents her in any way from "being a dog".

Living in an apartment where your dogs will be around a lot of people in my opinion makes it even more important to leash your dog. If for no other reason than their own protection. I had a very small dog stolen once when I was a kid. It only took a second for them to snatch her up and run. I will never open myself up to an experience like that again.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Safety is most important for strangers (all people), you and your dogs.

A leash will eliminate this happening again. Take them to parks or areas they are allowed off leash.

The woman clearly had a strong fear of dogs and may have over reacted but please don't lose your cool.......try to understand more like her exist and fear causes them to react that way.

We never know what people are capable as well, KEEP YOUR COOL...

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
There are other worse things that can happen.

A couple months ago, I took Donatello outside on his leash of course, to let him go to the bathroom. I never noticed before that there was a couple with two dogs that lived a few buildings down from ours.

The parking lot was crowded and I didn't notice her standing in-between two cars on the other side of the large grassy area Donatello uses for the bathroom.

I didn't see her and I didn't see her two dogs off the leash and racing towards Donatello. I had little time to react, and "without-a-care-in-the-world" she hollered for her dogs to "stop". -.- Donatello was on leash, on a leash, those two bastards weren't! Donatello doesn't like dogs charging him and I can't blame him!

He was close to my side and I was trying to put myself in-between them, and her two dogs were barking and snapping at Donatello. When she finally gets over to me, I said, "Someone, needs to get their dogs on a damn leash!" She proceeded to cuss me out as she's fighting to get her dogs under control, which was a Lhasa-Apso/mix and a Shiba-Inu. She's telling me that my dog is ugly, that I don't live here and yadda yadda... She went inside and brought out her family who proceeded to harass me and threaten me, until my mother called the cops...

Rules are in place for a reason! But because you have a few people who think they're above the rules and break them, wind up causing trouble for the people who follow them!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts