Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 1 year old lab/poodle/cocker mix has always had a 'sensitive' stomach...but it seems to come and go. We have been to the vet probably 5 times in the past year for vomiting/poo troubles and a cause was never found.

I think I finally figured it out today, if it's even possible. Last night my husband gave her a little piece of steak. Today she puked. The last time she puked was only about a month ago, and I remember we had given her a little roast beef we had.

She's never been a fan of any of the Merrick wet foods that have beef, now that I think about it, or the Acana dry food with beef.

Is that even possible? To be allergic to beef?

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
With those symptoms, it is more likely a food intolerance, rather than an allergy, but it is certainly possible.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really didn't think a meat would do that to a dog. Thanks very much for the reply!

I wish I could remember what we gave her the other 5 times, but I guess just cutting out beef and seeing if it happens anymore will have to do!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yes, it is possible. Ironically, one of the most common protein allergens is chicken--but some dogs are allergic or beef intolerant as well.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yes we went to a canine allergist and found out our dog was allergic to chicken beef lamb (he did great on fish/sweet potatoe then venison/ bison kibble)....

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yes, its possible for your dog to react poorly to beef. We found out the hard way -- and it took a while -- that our rescued Pit Bull who has food allergies is VERY sensitive to beef. He can't even chew on a beef bone or he gets very sick... from both ends. If you want to challenge your dog's sensitivity, keep her off of all things beef for a few months. If she has no tummy issues then give her a bit of pure beef on a day when you can dash her outside quickly and have some plain white rice on hand for her first, tummy settling meal after. We feed our dog either Acana Pacifica or Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato, but there are many foods that don't have beef.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never even thought of bones until you mentioned it. I'm not sure if they have made her sick, but sometimes when we get her a new bone she just stares at it. She'll carry it around but not chew it. I wonder if those 'rejected' bones were beef ones and it made her feel ill.

We are currently feeding her Orijin 6 fish mixed with a little Merrick canned food or fresh veggie(mostly apples and carrots). I made sure none of the canned stuff was beef.

Her current chews are all buffalo or pig, so here's hoping for normal tummies!

I am really amazed that dogs can have sensitivities to meat. Thanks all!

·
Registered
468 Posts
There is a difference between a sensitivity to cooked meat and raw meat. It is very rare for a dog to have any sensitivities to raw meat, but very common to see allergies and intolerances to chicken and beef. The protein structure of meat once a heat source has been applied is very different than its original state. A dog that is intolerant to cooked beef will probably not have a problem with the raw version. Something about cooked beef probably just doesn't agree with her. Steak, roast beef, and commercial dog food all contain cooked meat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts