Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 7 year old Labrador came back or more like he was found on my way home and he used to be a very chubby and happy dog until he went after some other dog.
Anyway as I was checking him up he has some injuries on his body, but the most serious one is on his upper left side of his leg. The wound is so deep
But I checked and theres no worms or maggots and it seems like its drying up. My poor baby is so sad and weak he barely ate or drank water. Its too late right now but im taking him to the vet first thing tomorrow and I applied an anti-biotic in cream form on his wounds for now and gave him some aspirin.

I know the vet will inform me on his well being but do you guys think he will be okay? Hes quite a chubby dog and seeing him so skinny just kills me.
His face is all long he looks so sad...

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
If he's just skinny because he hasn't eaten much in the last month, he should be OK after the vet patches him up and he gets a few weeks of good food and care. He may need antibiotics if the wound is infected, and a de-wormer wouldn't be a bad idea since you don't know what he's gotten into. He shouldn't need extra food or any special supplements---just give him his usual portion and let him gain the weight back gradually. If he's not drinking well the vet may give him some fluids. But I'm sure the vet will take care of all that and have some other suggestions.

So hopefully he's basically healthy and has just had a rough month. And hopefully he doesn't get out again!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
if he was chubby it's probably good that he lost some weight, you should be able to run your hand along his side and feel most of his ribs without pressure but only see the last couple.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes thats exactly how his ribs are!
I too think it was good he lost a bit of weight Im just not used to seeing him this thin I guess
Hes doing much better tho. Hopefully once hes fully rested we can put him with our new dog and they will keep each other company.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts