Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I posted a related question a while ago. My dog is an 6 1/2 months old Aussie. He is very playful and wants to play with every dog he encounters (if there are more than one he will be very picky about who to play with though..). Problems is ... not all dogs want to play (or better.. not all owners want to have his/her dog to play with mine), also he loves to play with smaller dogs and when he sees other does he starts pulling, jumping, running towards the other dog as if he were to attack (all he wants is to start playing) and the other people get really scared.

From my previous posting I got that I needed to socialize him much more... so this is what I do now (this is besides daily walks and play at home) :

- 1 hour social time in a training facility a week.
- 1+ hours at a dog park a week
- 1+ hours at a different dog park a week
- 1 Full day at a pet resort a week

What I was expecting with all of the above was for my dog to get more relaxed when he finds dogs on the street (when walking), but it is not happening, in fact .. I think it is getting worst. So if he sees or hear other dogs he starts getting very.. very anxious, start looking where the barking comes from, start barking as if calling the other dog for play time, jumping if I don't allow him to go .

I tried to be patient, make him sit, giving him threats, blocking the view, going the other way, using the non-pulling leash to have better control, but none of these are working.

I hope this is just a stage and is going to change soon, but in the mean time I am running out of ideas? What else can I do to get him to be more relaxed ?

Would fostering another dog help mine to get used to dogs, and teach him not to be so anxious? This is the only idea that I have left....

Thanks in advance for your feeback!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a similar situation with Sam and I tend to become more and more 'no meet and greet at the leash'! Teach your dog that being on the leash means no interaction at all with other dogs and being off leash means being allowed to play.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also have a 6.5 month Australian Shepherd, and I also have this same problem. I've done all sorts of things and a lot of training around distractions. She just loves to play. When around other dogs I usually have a ton of treats and anytime she even looks at me I give her treats. She hasn't really improved but I'm hopeful that it's a start. I don't even attempt a recall when she is around other dogs because I know it won't do much. My hope is as she gets older it will get better. Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She just loves to play. When around other dogs I usually have a ton of treats and anytime she even looks at me I give her treats.

Yes, absolutely, mine also loves to play. I read that Aussies need a lot of socialization so they don't become aggressive toward others... mine is totally the opposite (although he is picky when choosing a playmate).

I tried the treats, any kind, even bacon type (which he loves), put it in front of his nose... if there is another dog around, he won't even try to get the treat. He just moves his head to the sides so he can see the other dog (or cats for that matter) and starts whining.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
The thing in common I see with all your situations is you all have adolescent dogs :D
Fbuitrag, I think what you're doing is great and you should definitely keep working on it; as you said, it will help with having a non-aggressive dog in the future.

When there is barking, how is he when he can't locate the source? Like, if the other dog is in a house or somewhere else in the neighborhood? Will he break his attention for even a second? What would happen if you stayed there for a while until he gives up on locating the source of the noise?
This may or may not work, but you can try to get a recording of different dogs barking and play it randomly, at random places. It could help desensitize him to it.

For the "if there is another dog around" situations, if he is unable to focus on you then you are too close to the other dog. You need to start working at a distance where you KNOW your dog will respond to you. This might mean you need to work on getting your dog to focus on you when there is barking first, let alone the sight of another dog. But will he refocus on you if the other dog is 50 feet away? Or maybe 100? Do you have any friends or neighbors who have a calm dog and are willing to work with you?
Otherwise, I know that it's impossible not to run into other dogs on walks. But for now, inside and outside, during walks and whenever you can, work on commands like "Watch Me" or "Focus" (start inside the house if this is new).

Hope this helps! Keep at it and things WILL get better (even if you have to endure 6 more months) :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Mine used to do that. They were strays. They wanted to play with smaller dogs and fight larger ones. (Not too smart.) They were violent lunging against the leashes. I worked the program in the pamphlet Feisty Fido. I also found Click To Calm useful. It took over six months of daily training, but they came around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts