Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am truly worried my mom will kick him out of the house. She truly must not find out.

The dog is currently locked in the backyard, where he will sleep.

The thing now was that he was tired and I was calling him to my room because he must sleep either there or in the backyard. He had slept on my room before, but he was too tired to move tonight.

I was very emphatical, tried to sound as cheerful as I could and as excited for him to come, but he just didn´t. The last time this happened, I had to carry him in and he had growled to me, but I carried him anyways and he was okay when he was already in.

Naturaly, this didn´t work this time.

Now please, save the comments about the the mistake of ignoring his growl. My concern is what to do from now on.

I am really worried this may change our relationship. I mean, he bit me, and when I aparted my hands I had to pres him to the floor while he growled so he didnt kept on. then I left. I cleaned my hands off the blood (still licking my wounds quite literaly, and avoiding to type with my right pinky) and then went out and sent him to the backyard, which thank God for some reason he doesn´t resist at all when sent there (although he is still barking and pushing and jumping at the door from there to this moment, but getting him there is not a problem)

He has been acting freak for sometime actually.

Before, he could sleep at the living room no prob, the reason he know has to sleep with me is because my mom saw him asleep in the couch the other day. He is a 5 yar old dog living here most of that life save for like 2 months! (wait, 6 year old now?) He knows he shouldnt do that!

Also, he never stole food before, but now he does. We had to change the place we left his food because it was at the level of the floor and 2 times he just took it. He didn´t do this before! he cannot be left alone in the house or he will piss in the kitchen, he didnt do this before! he knew his place to piss! though the part of the piss is much older, like lasts parts of the 2011. I just dont get why he has been changing.

What gotten into my dog? Are this things somehow related?

Please, don´t tell me something like "its your fault for trying to carry him when angered" . I need to learn how to do better, not to be judged. I am really concerned, and honestly I do am disappointed. I know he did out of fear, but he truly shouldnt fear me. Never done anything to him for him to fear me. He greets me happily when I come in. I just dont get him now, why he has this rebellions. This is truly dissapointing point for me now, also to myself.

I am not even in a good life moment without this. Maybe it is silly, but it feels... lonely that my dog bites my hands.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I will suggest that he goes to the vet. Sometimes altered thyroid functions cause "freak" changes in a dog. Given he is getting older I would rule out health issues first. He could even be in pain. Dogs do not always show distress like humans because it is a sign of weakness to other animals.

Yes ... growling is a warning ... but there is some underlying reason for it IMHO.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Check thyroid functions and for diabetes.

Either way, your relationship with your dog should change. Your dog shouldn't have to bite you to get you to stop doing something scary, and you shouldn't have to force your dog to move. Respect his growls and really work on training recall.

But first, a vet visit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was trying to train recall, but it was never great. He took his time to come and almost never did it when he was lying down tired.

About the vet, he has gone more than once since his mood change and they didn´t say anything wrong about thyroid nor diabetes nor anything similar.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I was trying to train recall, but it was never great. He took his time to come and almost never did it when he was lying down tired.
You need to keep working on it then. Is your dog rewarded each and every single time he does come when called? Do you make it a party and like it's the best thing in the world? It sounds silly, but you need keep at it and make it so much fun each time he does come to you that he learns it's MORE fun to be with you when called then to ignore you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am definetely not the best at "making it a party" but I try. I do reward him every time I use the command I want to reinforce for "come" but it is still far away from being reliable enough.

In any case, the marks are almost healed now. My mother didn´t find out, and I haven´t had a similar problem since. This is good. I relaxed a bit about it all.

I am not sure what to do with the command for him to come, I could use higher value treats I guess... but honestly that would be like pizza, and that would never be regular training o.o

1 - 6 of 6 Posts