Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I'm not really sure if I'm posting this in the right place. I've always owned dogs, since I was a little kid and while some of them were a little crazy or hyper I never had the kind of problems that I do with my current dog.

His name is Merc and he's just turned one. His da was a probably a golden retriever and his mom was a mongrel - rottweiler, shepard, italian mastiff and something else, I can't remember. He is a pretty big dog, very powerful even for his size and naturally is full of energy.

We have one other dog here, a springer spaniel that he gets a long with very well. In fact he gets along with all other dogs, never aggressive towards them beyond the odd squabble over a toy that he lays ownership to or over food. He only really has problems with people.

If he's with someone he knows, he's very playful and friendly. He was very vicious if anyone was around his food when he was a pup and bit both myself and his mother's owner. But I trained him out of that 6 months ago and now anyone can stand beside him while he eats or get him to sit and then move his food bowl if needs be. He's very gentle if you hand him a treat or a toy and loves to play with people in general.

If someone that he doesn't comes into the house, or onto our property though, he tries to seriously hurt them. Its only lucky that no one has been bitten already. He will repeatedly go for them even if I'm present and if restrained will stay staring at them and growling. Sometimes if I bring him out on his lead and introduce him to someone off the property he will then be fine with them on the property and sometimes he won't. Sometimes he'll be fine with someone when I'm walking him on the lead and sometimes he won't. He's fine when I bring him to the vet, but if its anywhere he feels that is his territory then he tends to freak with strangers. Again though, this is not always the way. When he gets used to someone as he has done with my friends after a lot of gradual exposure then he has no problem with them at all.

As you can imagine this is a big problem for me and unfortunately I don't have the time or the caseh right now to try a dog trainer out. And if he continues like this I might have to have him put because it would be unfair to leave him penned up al the time. Any advice that you can offer me would be greatly appreciated.

Pete.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Pete,
I'm going to put this into the training forum, I'm sure you'll et lots of information, however I can say that with a serious behavioral problem like this, there is just NO substitute for in person professional eval and guidance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
As you can probably tell by my screen name, I watch The Dog Whisperer. The problem you're having goes beyond normal peoples help. Go to The Dog Whisperer website and see if you can get Cesars help. Who knows, maybe you'll be on the show!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
As you can probably tell by my screen name, I watch The Dog Whisperer. The problem you're having goes beyond normal peoples help. Go to The Dog Whisperer website and see if you can get Cesars help. Who knows, maybe you'll be on the show!
That's an AWESOME idea!!11!!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
DO NOT USE THE DOG WHISPER'S TECHNIQUES! They are not rooted in sound behavioral theory.

You need a certified behaviorist PERIOD.

Yes, you need to teach your dog to follow you, but as the BENEVOLENT leader not a 'pack' leader.

Uses this technique to start good leadership skills

NILIF (nothing in life is free)

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Please listen to PamperedPups and Carla...

When your dog actually bites someone, and it is only a matter of when, you could cause someone serious harm and cause your dog to be PTS.

Dog aggression towards Humans is a very serious matter. You have realized this. Until you can get some help with this, prevention has to be 9/10ths of the cure.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Ok, I have some time to post now.

One very important thing you're going to need to do is get his recall RELIABLE, that's a 90-95% he comes when you call him NO MATTER WHAT. You could train him to a whistle (normal coaches whistle is fine).

I HIGHLY reccomend this book: REALLY RELIABLE RECALL BOOKLET
by Leslie Nelson

I also suggest HOW TO RIGHT A DOG GONE WRONG - A ROADMAP FOR REHABILITATING AGGRESSIVE DOGS
by Pamela Dennison
( Virginia Wind, who wrote most of the articles I've posted in the training forum is in this DVD and trains with Pam)

TRAINING THE COMPANION DOG II - BEHAVIOR PROBLEMS DVD
by Ian Dunbar

These are NOT substitutes for a behaviorist, BUT they will help get you started and manage the situation.

In the mean time, get him trained to obey you, look at

PERFECT PAWS IN 5 DAYS FEATURING JEAN DONALDSON'S MODERN TRAINING METHODS DVD
by Jean Donaldson

DON'T SHOOT THE DOG
by Karen Pryor

HOW TO BE THE LEADER OF THE PACK
by Patricia McConnell

TRAINING DOGS WITH DUNBAR DVD
by Ian Dunbar

CLICKER DOG TRAINING KIT
by Karen Pryor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts