Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should state straight up this happened two weeks ago and she has been nothing but normal since.

It was around nine pm on a Saturday. I left her alone for three minutes to clean the litter box. She grabbed four home made brownies (about 3 x 4 inches) and scarfed them. I panicked. I sprinted to the closest grocery store (I think they were actually closed- the automatic doors didn't open, I had to pry them open, must've looked hilarious) and bought hydrogen peroxide solution.

I gave her the recommended dose, she threw it all up within a minute. Four minutes after that, she was rolling around on the floor with her toy, like she always does.

She never showed any signs of being sick. I have no idea if the brownies had enough chocolate to harm her. I'm feeling quite a bit of guilt because I didn't call the vet first thing. I have a bit of emergency $ saved up, but I didn't want to spend it if I didn't have to, in case a more dire emergency came up. I thought if the hydrogen peroxide didn't work, I would've rushed her over.

Does this seem like a reasonable course of action? What would you guys have done?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
It takes a fair amount of chocolate to be toxic to a larger dog. There are calculators online where you can input the weight of the dog, what kind of chocolate, and how much chocolate, and it will tell you if it's enough to be dangerous or not.

Basically: if she threw all/most of it up, and it wasn't that much to begin with, there's no reason you'd have to rush off to the vet.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I did the same thing with two of my dogs, at my vet's suggestion. Neither dog would throw up. The first one, I took to the vet because the amount of semisweet chocolate chips he ate was right on the borderline of being toxic for a 100 lb dog. The second one, the vet laughed and said there wasn't enough real chocolate in a 9 oz. Whitman's sampler for me to worry about it with my 50 lb. dog, but I could give the hydrogen peroxide if that made me feel better.

I give the hydrogen peroxide, then I call the vet.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
I did the same thing with two of my dogs, at my vet's suggestion. Neither dog would throw up. The first one, I took to the vet because the amount of semisweet chocolate chips he ate was right on the borderline of being toxic for a 100 lb dog. The second one, the vet laughed and said there wasn't enough real chocolate in a 9 oz. Whitman's sampler for me to worry about it with my 50 lb. dog, but I could give the hydrogen peroxide if that made me feel better.

I give the hydrogen peroxide, then I call the vet.

Every dog is different... Some take more peroxide than others.... If the dog does not barf, give it more... Sooner or later they all barf.

·
Registered
777 Posts
110 lbs Clyde tore into a bunch of Christmas presents I put together for my little cousins (and paid a fair chunk of my money for considering I was unemployed at the time), tore up and chewed most of the items and ate roughly 1-2 lbs of milk chocolate dispersed among the presents. The dog got high on those things and was tearing around the house for an hour after. The only reason I didn't freak or even initiate vomiting was because of the body weight calculators. He turned out fine after, except now he wants to get into any chocolate left out now to get a buzz off it...

I had a friend who had a big ACD who would occasionally scarf down an entire panful of brownies in a few minutes of inattention from the owners. They never had a problem with him.

All that said, if the dogs in question were toy breeds, inducing vomiting probably would have been very important.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. This makes me feel better. I did try the calculators online, but I couldn't figure out how many ounces of chocolate were in the brownies (I can't math when I'm panicking).

No more chocolate in the house for us!

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
It takes a fair amount of chocolate to be toxic to a larger dog. There are calculators online where you can input the weight of the dog, what kind of chocolate, and how much chocolate, and it will tell you if it's enough to be dangerous or not.

Basically: if she threw all/most of it up, and it wasn't that much to begin with, there's no reason you'd have to rush off to the vet.
It takes a very small amount of MILK chocolate to be toxic to a larger dog. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic.

The nice thing about brownies though is that there are a lot of things in them besides chocolate to dilute it out. Still, toxic dose of baking chocolate is pretty low comparatively.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Yeah Sans ate 5-6 Banana chocolate chip muffins with cocoa powder in them. Apparently cocoa powder is like one of the worst possible things they can ingest. I found her three hours after the incident though so I was told it was too late to make her vomit.
I did calculations online and the amount of cocoa powder between each muffin was fairly minimal once you spread it out into the batch of 24 muffins.
Found her risk to be low, but still worried about it for like 3 days afterwards.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
She was probably fine. As others said, a medium-large sized dog needs to eat a pound or more of chocolate to get sick so a few brownies aren't going to hurt. Doesn't hurt to make them throw it up either. I wouldn't have taken her to the vet at all, but I know some people might.

On vacation this year, two of the dogs found mouse poison scattered on the ground. It was a tiny bit and we don't even know if they ate it or were just sniffing around, but we got hydrogen peroxide and made them throw up. Hazel threw up immediately, the other dog didn't throw up at all. After some research and calling a vet we found that he'd would've had to eat multiple trays of this stuff for it to be toxic, not a few tiny pellets (it's meant to kill mice, not 35lb dogs), but my friend took him to the vet for a blood test anyway. I thought it was overkill, but it made him feel better to get confirmation.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
How does one administer the hydrogen peroxide?
We used one of those blue bulbs you use for babies. Friends happens to have a 1 year old and lots of baby stuff. At home I have a big syringe (no needle of course) for force feeding the rabbits so I would use that

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
We gave Bennie hydrogen peroxide mixed with applesauce so she'd eat it after she'd ingested chocolate taffy. It did take more than the recommended amount to induce vomiting for her.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Good info to know for the future!

My grandma always liked to tell the tale of the time with their poodle, Ginger, got into the Easter baskets and ate all the chocolate. ( she was fine but just one of those stories)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Dogs will have differing responses to chocolate. Sassy would have gotten really sick from the 8 ounces of See's molasses chips that Max ate with no problem, they are likely half chocolate as the chips are skinny. She could have died if she hadn't vomited up the nearly 3 pounds of milk chocolate she ate the first week we had her and she was still extremely sick for a couple days. If she ate a whole pan of brownies and didn't get attention right away she could have died, my brownies have 2/3 cup of cocoa in them. 1/4 pan would have made her quite ill.

The theobromine absorbs very quickly. I'd have the hydrogen peroxide in the house, having to spend 10-15 minutes to get to it would make a big difference in how much of the poison gets into the blood stream. Sassy vomited some of that first chocolate binge up and the rest at the vet inside 1/2 hour and she was still so sick.

OP, you did good getting the hydrogen peroxide in her, just too bad you didn't have any on hand.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Btdt too many times over they years. The first time was so many years ago, gosh must have been around 1991 or so. Our cocker got into an Easter basket and ate around 12+ chocolate coins and bunnies, foil and all. The vet (that we called, we were out of town) wasn't too concerned about the chocolate since it was milk chocolate but was concerned about the foil causing a blockage. We used a turkey baster to get the peroxide down, poor dog got so sick from the peroxide but did puke it all up and was fine after awhile. The vet at that time just said get as much peroxide down as you can. Poor dog!

Glad your dog was ok and yes you did the right thing.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Just curious - how much hydrogen peroxide are you supposed to give? I've never heard of this before but I think I'll keep some on hand from now on just in case.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Just curious - how much hydrogen peroxide are you supposed to give? I've never heard of this before but I think I'll keep some on hand from now on just in case.
We just googled it to get recommended amount by weight. It also told us that you could dose twice if needed, but not to go above a certain limit if they weren't throwing it up.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dogs will have differing responses to chocolate. Sassy would have gotten really sick from the 8 ounces of See's molasses chips that Max ate with no problem, they are likely half chocolate as the chips are skinny. She could have died if she hadn't vomited up the nearly 3 pounds of milk chocolate she ate the first week we had her and she was still extremely sick for a couple days. If she ate a whole pan of brownies and didn't get attention right away she could have died, my brownies have 2/3 cup of cocoa in them. 1/4 pan would have made her quite ill.

The theobromine absorbs very quickly. I'd have the hydrogen peroxide in the house, having to spend 10-15 minutes to get to it would make a big difference in how much of the poison gets into the blood stream. Sassy vomited some of that first chocolate binge up and the rest at the vet inside 1/2 hour and she was still so sick.

OP, you did good getting the hydrogen peroxide in her, just too bad you didn't have any on hand.
I bought the big bottle! Really hoping I never have to use it again, but at least now I'll have some in the house.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts