Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a smoker. Yeah bad me I know. I roll my own to avoid the ridiculous taxes on cigs. For awhile now when I sit down to roll some smokes my gsd gets really up in arms about it. Barks, whines, gets really pushy about it and generally just gets all bent out of shape. He only acts this way when I'm rolling smokes.....until now. The other night I poured myself a glass of wine before bed. Aaaaaaand he started carrying on at me. I am not a heavy drinker. I typically will drink 1 bottle of wine per week.
I'm really wondering what is up with this lol. My wife also rolls her own....he doesnt do this with her. Just me. She gets a huge kick out of it as she wants me to quit, she insists he's a smart dog and wants to keep me around awhile. Yes he is far more bonded to me than her.
So I guess per the dogters orders I'm gonna have to quit smoking and having my glass of red before bed??
For the record after a couple of months of this I did go get myself checked out just to be safe. No issues.
Dogs can be funny critters sometimes.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've got no answer for you, but as a fellow smoker, wanted to share my own experience. My pup overheard 'want to go smoke?' between myself and friends one too many times, and now knows it means we're going out in the back yard. I see her react with as much more joy hearig 'want to go smoke?' as I do if I say 'want to go for a walk?'.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Clearly your dog wants you to live a long time and have you to himself since he does not interfere with your wife smoking and drinking.

Maybe you need to change the tobacco and the wine brand.. F6 and Spartbergunder perhaps?

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I wonder if maybe you're feeling anxious every time you roll up a cig? All I can figure is your pup feels your anxiety about these vices? Or maybe he's sensitive to the smell? Not sure... but maybe you should listen to him and quit those smokes! :)

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
It's not easy, but totally worth it! This April will be three years that I quit - I actually got a lot of my strength and ambition to quit from the awesome members here. I feel better and so does my bank account. You can do it if you really want to... your pup is your quitting-coach. Sounds like he means business, too! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts