Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arlos is new to our family. We adopted him 5 days ago (he's a 16lb doxie mix). So, I realize he's still adjusting, and making himself known. I know that his personality is still starting to show. (although he really did make himself at home very quickly)
He has become really bonded to me. He obviously has no training, aside from being housetrained. He doesn't know any commands and we've got him enrolled for training starting next thursday. I've been pretty lax with him right now, since I know we are going to start training soon.
he's been pretty decent with my daughter. Sniffing her and licking her hands, etc. Not really playing with her, but definitely not scared of her since the first day.
Tonight he was kind of trying to get my attention, and my daughter (2.5 years) was climbing all over me. He kind of started to nibble at her arm, and then I could see him start to do it again, so I moved Marley out of the way.

Do you think I should be concerned? I don't know that he was really playing, but might have been! Its been a LONG time since I've lived with a dog. I know never to leave them alone in a room, but it almost seemed that his behaviour was triggered by Marley crawling on me.
What do you think I can do to deter this? I plan to impliment NILIF when we have some commands down. Do you think this will help? I have read about small dog syndrome and I don't want that happening!
I don't know if I am totally overreacting, I just want our family to be as successful as possible.
Sorry for the long winded-ness. Thanks for reading!

ETA: My mom said it sounds like it was more like a play nip.... but still a little concerned. I'm a worry wart ;)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Definitely playing. Puppies play by crawling all over mom and each other. They also play by biting each other. (not hard, of course) To Arlos, it looked like Marley was playing like a dog, so he joined in and played like a dog.

There is a sticky called "The Bite Stops Here" which contains good advice to end biting. You should read that.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! He is 2, so I wasn't thinking in terms of puppy, but I forget Arlo is still very young! I'll read the link :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts