Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Am sorry for your loss.. my Newfie was diagnosed today with a terminal tumor theres nothing that can be done and its competely out of the blue. I'm a 23 year old male and been crying my eyes out as have my family. On a happier note he always got on well with Grt Danes they always licked him.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yesterday our 185lb 3year old Great Dane dropped dead. NO bloat, poison, eating anything bad, illness or any signs of something wrong. He has always been the healthiest most active Dane I've ever met. After hrs of confusion my husband found out about DCM. I've grown up with Danes all my life and I've never heard of it. Our vet had no clue. We are heart broken our boy was taken away so young and having no answers just sucked. I hope this info brings you some piece of mind.

In many instances there are no warning signs of DCM. A dog collapses and dies suddenly, probably as a result of cardiac arrhythmia, which interrupts the contractions of the heart chambers and stops circulation of the blood.

http://www.daneoutreach.org/Files/GreatDaneUpdate1'06.pdf

In Great Danes DCM shows a distinct preference for males: about 90-95% of cases are male.

In many instances there are no warning signs of DCM. The dog collapses and dies suddenly, probably as a result of cardiac arrhythmia/fibrillation which de-synchronizes the contractions of the heart chambers, thereby arresting circulation of the blood. This happens because DCM damages the muscle cells along the electrical (nerve) pathway, interrupting the circuit and causing the heart to “short” much like what happens when an electrical cord is damaged.

It ranked as the #1 cause of death among male Great Danes, having overtaken cancer and bloat, ranked #2 and #3, respectively. The statistical relationship between cardiomyopathy and male sex was highly significant (p<0.0001), in fact the strongest correlation observed for any health condition when incidence was analyzed by gender, color family, etc.

http://www.rojongreatdanes.com/danelinks.com/archive/guest_col/2005/5.1.05/dcm.htm

·
Registered
400 Posts
DCM is a terrible thing. It strikes out of nowhere and leaves most dead. This is why you want to get a puppy from health tested parents.

Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am so sorry for your painful loss. The sudden nature of it with a dog so young really makes it difficult to cope with - my thoughts are with you and your family

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Words just aren't enough in a situation like this. I always feel like "I'm so sorry" just isn't enough, but I don't know what else to say. Its never easy losing someone you love.

While I was reading your post, it definitely sounded like a heart condition. While Dauber was getting on in years, dogs can generally outwalk human beings. Coupled with the shortness of breath, and the smell of ammonia (caused by muscle break-down during exercise) it definitely sounds like it was some sort of heart failure. The only good thing is at least he went quickly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: my Dane just died this morning out of the blue ...

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how confused and devastated you must be. My five year old black english cocker spaniel died suddenly last year. He was fine at 4pm, wouldn't eat at six and was dead at ll pm. We took him to the vet (before he died) and she said he probably had immuno mediated thrombocytopenia. He bled out into his abdomen. My husband and I were heartbroken too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I just lost my 13 month old Great Dane, Perseus, on Monday. It was a normal day for him, both my parents were with him all day. I was running late at work, so I didn't come home @5 like I normally do, so my dad took him out around 5:30 I got home about 15 minutes later & ran upstairs to find my beautiful baby boy dead. We took him to the vet & he had an enlarged right Atrial valve & there were several clots. From what the vet saw, it was congenital. There were never any signs, he was supposed to be a healthy boy. I still can't believe I lost him & my heart is broken.

This is actually the 2nd Great Dane I lost too early, due to heart disease. My first Great Dane, Achilles, was barely 4 months old when he was diagnosed with Dialted Cardiomyapathy. He died 9 days after his diagnosis. I took him to the vet, because I thought he had Kennel cough. The vet told me to go to a Cardiologist ASAP, which I went the next day. There we found he had DCM & a heart arithmia. He was just 4 months old.

I've lost 2 Great Danes at an early age, due to Congenital Heart Disease. I love my boys & miss them EVERYDAY!!!!

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
am so very sorry for you sudden loss.. me personally am happy he had such a wonderful happy well loved life to the very last second he had.. We had a pup who had a bad heart one that was too high that surgery would of not helped her. We knew her time was limited but always amazed how much she loved life.. She was out in the morning playing came in with all the dogs bouncing happy then within 30 seconds she got this sad drooping look on her face and started sliding down to the floor and soon passed away in my DH's arms.. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss. It is hard no matter what age they pass from us ... but the young ones seem so unfair.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts

Mel32, I am truly sorry for your loss. I lost my Great Dane, my heart dog, too soon too. Yeti died of leukemia and lymphoma Nov. 2011, 1 week after his 3rd b-day. My heart still aches from that loss. Then another Dane of mine, Uther, just passed 2 1/2mos ago from bloat at the age of 9. He died literally minutes before I got home from work.
Believe me, I know too well the pain you're feeling and I am so sorry you have to experience that.
I still have 4 other Danes and am always worrying about something happening to them. The loss of the others has put me in near panic mode with my Danes.

BTW, this thread is originally from about 4yrs ago.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts

The OP is also listed as "banned"...
I saw that too and I know it's a no-no to resurrect a dead thread like this but the new poster had a recent and horribly painful loss. I had to respond. I'm sure the moderators can understand - comforting words should never be against the rules despite the thread status.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my Dane just died this morning out of the blue ...

... and I have no CLUE why! My Dane... Dauber Von Kaiser... my love... I write this with tears in my eyes for him. I just got back from dropping him off at the vet to be cremated... He would have been 10 on November 5th. (yes that's him in my avatar)

Today was like any other typical morning with the herd... Dauber was Happy, even playful with Diego our 3 year old lab that was his typical play thing. They bounced around the dog run together, and Dauber ate GREAT last night like he usually does. In his aging days I had noticed his breathing had become a bit laboured (but I had contributed that to damage that a case of lung worm might have caused) and he had a hard time making it around the block (whick I attributed to his age). Nothing would have prepared me for what happened next.

We were in the kitchen (hubby, me and my 4 year only standing in the doorway). I had just let the dogs in probably about 10 minutes prior to this happening. They went on about doing their thing, then Dauber started to walk into the kitchen and COLLAPSED practically knocking my 4 year old thru the wall (yes he literally fell ON him which was NOT Dauber's nature at all... he was EXTREMELY cautious around Garrett and always had been. He wasn't the most graceful large beast but I loved his clutty nature). His front legs got all stiff and his eyes rolled and I thought SEIZURE... with in 5 minutes he was gone.

I've worked with dogs for 17 years and have never seen or heard of such a thing happening. As I took Dauber to the vet my husband got online and started searching everything to find out what could have possibly made this happen. 2 things kept popping up for Sudden death in great danes...

My question is this... has anyone ever heard of or dealt with dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM)? The other one he found was Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). Lastly the final culprit could have been Aortic Stenosis.

I know it wasn't heart worm because he was recently tested and cleared... so anyone that knows anything about any of these diseases , any info would be greatly appreciated... unless you might know of any other reason a perfectly healthy almost 10 year old intact male dane might just suddenly drop dead. (another thing I noticed between last night and today is that there was a strong odor of cat pee in the house. I don't own a cat and they're never in my house. Dauber's final elimination also reaked of cat pee).

I am sooo heart broken right now I can barely think.
I just lost my Great Dane this morning. She had been having trouble breathing ; and uncomfortable at night took her on 2 vet visits and was waiting for blood work. my ver, whom I didnt love kept telling me arthritis and I kept saying its something in her lungs. Pheobie had had Pneumonia 6 years ago and the sound of breathing started to sound all too familiar . My vets X-rays came back and he said her heart was enlarged. I have no idea why he put her on Gabbapentin. Do not ever put your dog on that drug. She had never had 1 seizure in her life. Friday morning before her vet visit she went to the beach to play. 2 hours later at the vet with the heart enlargement news. and my vet told me i would be lucky to have her for 6 months.... and proceeded to put her on Gabapentin. WTF!! she was 115 lbs. 600 Mg a day after a day and a half of this drug.. Pheobie could barely walk the block and the day before she was walking to the beach. I took tapered her off the drug day 2 and day 3 sunday morning . she woke up ;( same with night groans - going on for almost 3 weeks .. )the not knowing what was wrong with her and vets giving me mixed opinions.

anyways she woke up sunday morning drank water. i checked her gums they looked pretty normal. and pink She had been still eating and pooping normal. Decided to take her on a quick walk... we went to her favorite canal -- it was her short walk walk... she said hi to her neighbor furry buddy ; she got tired and i told her she could take a break .- she laid down and started breathing really heavy. the neighbor where she laid on sidewalk - was out playing with his daughter ; I panicked when i saw her head down on pavement as she struggled to breath. called to my neighbor for help and he said oh my gosh same thing happened to our dog ; she's dying!!! as soon as he said that , I checked her gums they were white and her tongue was purple. I had no idea what to do. He offered to call animal control. he got a wagon; as soon as he got a wagon... my dog got up and walked 2 more houses down our street . she was walking home. she walked 20-30 more steps under this condition and she stopped and i told sweet Pheobie: it was ok to rest.. I didnt know what to do - I pet her and told her mama's here. I didn't want to lift her head in my lap bc i didn't want to harm her or cause her pain. I was there petting her . she took her last breaths and she was gone. Lying on the side walk 3 homes away from ours. Pheobie was my miracle dog .. Man; she flipping got up when she was almost dead and walked 20 more steps. She loved her mama so much! She did it for me and she didnt have to. That dog would have done anything for me !! I loved Pheobie sooooo much she was my child hardest thing of my life and feeling so helpless.DId I do the right thing.? Could I have done more?? Did she know her mama was there ? should I have put my initial reaction give her CPR but I didnt know how. Could I have saved my 12 year old great dane ? gosh Im in so much pain with tears .
, my instinct said cardiac a ithe same vet kept telling me - she's almost 12 she's already outlived her years... My dog Pheobie was the gentlest giant. I was always sure she would be in the guiness book of world record. I hate it when vets tell you , she's already living miracle

kindest furry human you could have ever met.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm so sorry about Pheobie. I hope the day comes soon when you can celebrate her long life and smile at memories and the grief of her passing dims.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts