Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

my Dane just dropped dead this morning...

31K views 58 replies 42 participants last post by  LittleFr0g 
#1 · (Edited)
my Dane just died this morning out of the blue ...

... and I have no CLUE why! My Dane... Dauber Von Kaiser... my love... I write this with tears in my eyes for him. I just got back from dropping him off at the vet to be cremated... He would have been 10 on November 5th. (yes that's him in my avatar)

Today was like any other typical morning with the herd... Dauber was Happy, even playful with Diego our 3 year old lab that was his typical play thing. They bounced around the dog run together, and Dauber ate GREAT last night like he usually does. In his aging days I had noticed his breathing had become a bit laboured (but I had contributed that to damage that a case of lung worm might have caused) and he had a hard time making it around the block (whick I attributed to his age). Nothing would have prepared me for what happened next.

We were in the kitchen (hubby, me and my 4 year only standing in the doorway). I had just let the dogs in probably about 10 minutes prior to this happening. They went on about doing their thing, then Dauber started to walk into the kitchen and COLLAPSED practically knocking my 4 year old thru the wall (yes he literally fell ON him which was NOT Dauber's nature at all... he was EXTREMELY cautious around Garrett and always had been. He wasn't the most graceful large beast but I loved his clutty nature). His front legs got all stiff and his eyes rolled and I thought SEIZURE... with in 5 minutes he was gone.

I've worked with dogs for 17 years and have never seen or heard of such a thing happening. As I took Dauber to the vet my husband got online and started searching everything to find out what could have possibly made this happen. 2 things kept popping up for Sudden death in great danes...

My question is this... has anyone ever heard of or dealt with dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM)? The other one he found was Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). Lastly the final culprit could have been Aortic Stenosis.

I know it wasn't heart worm because he was recently tested and cleared... so anyone that knows anything about any of these diseases , any info would be greatly appreciated... unless you might know of any other reason a perfectly healthy almost 10 year old intact male dane might just suddenly drop dead. (another thing I noticed between last night and today is that there was a strong odor of cat pee in the house. I don't own a cat and they're never in my house. Dauber's final elimination also reaked of cat pee).

I am sooo heart broken right now I can barely think.

See less See more
#58 ·
my Dane just died this morning out of the blue ...

... and I have no CLUE why! My Dane... Dauber Von Kaiser... my love... I write this with tears in my eyes for him. I just got back from dropping him off at the vet to be cremated... He would have been 10 on November 5th. (yes that's him in my avatar)

Today was like any other typical morning with the herd... Dauber was Happy, even playful with Diego our 3 year old lab that was his typical play thing. They bounced around the dog run together, and Dauber ate GREAT last night like he usually does. In his aging days I had noticed his breathing had become a bit laboured (but I had contributed that to damage that a case of lung worm might have caused) and he had a hard time making it around the block (whick I attributed to his age). Nothing would have prepared me for what happened next.

We were in the kitchen (hubby, me and my 4 year only standing in the doorway). I had just let the dogs in probably about 10 minutes prior to this happening. They went on about doing their thing, then Dauber started to walk into the kitchen and COLLAPSED practically knocking my 4 year old thru the wall (yes he literally fell ON him which was NOT Dauber's nature at all... he was EXTREMELY cautious around Garrett and always had been. He wasn't the most graceful large beast but I loved his clutty nature). His front legs got all stiff and his eyes rolled and I thought SEIZURE... with in 5 minutes he was gone.

I've worked with dogs for 17 years and have never seen or heard of such a thing happening. As I took Dauber to the vet my husband got online and started searching everything to find out what could have possibly made this happen. 2 things kept popping up for Sudden death in great danes...

My question is this... has anyone ever heard of or dealt with dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM)? The other one he found was Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). Lastly the final culprit could have been Aortic Stenosis.

I know it wasn't heart worm because he was recently tested and cleared... so anyone that knows anything about any of these diseases , any info would be greatly appreciated... unless you might know of any other reason a perfectly healthy almost 10 year old intact male dane might just suddenly drop dead. (another thing I noticed between last night and today is that there was a strong odor of cat pee in the house. I don't own a cat and they're never in my house. Dauber's final elimination also reaked of cat pee).

I am sooo heart broken right now I can barely think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.