Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m pretty sure this is gonna be a loooong rant, so I apologize in advance!

I think my dad is the perfect example of someone who shouldn’t own a dog.

Don’t get me wrong, he loves dogs, but he should just never own one. Ever. And there’s so many reasons why.

Let’s start off with how many dogs he’s owned in the past 5 years. If I’m remembering correctly, I wanna say the answer is eight. How many dogs does he have now? Zero. How many of those dogs are probably still alive? Two. Three, at best. He literally can’t even remember which dog came from where.

What happened to those dogs? Two of them escaped, four of them he gave away because he “couldn’t take care of them” (in reality, he just doesn’t know BASIC dog training), and two are dead.

Here’s what he does when he gets a dog he doesn’t like, isn’t satisfied with, when one dies, or when one runs away: He gets a new one. Immediately. Doesn’t take any time to reflect about maybe WHY he doesn’t like the dog (here’s a hint: it’s due to behavioral issues that he doesn’t know how to properly correct), why the dog died (here’s a hint: it’s his fault), or why the dog ran away (here’s a hint: it’s also his fault.). And he does the same thing with the dog every. Single. Time. It’s such an awful cycle. It always ends up with the dog no longer being in his possession for one of those reasons, and him ending up getting a new one just for it to happen all over again.

Here’s the behavioral issues that the dogs typically have: Chewing up/destroying everything, being EXTREMELY energetic, pooping/peeing everywhere, and constantly trying to get love from you.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but here’s why they’re doing those things, in respective order: Not enough training/mental stimulation, constantly being locked up, not having proper house training, and not receiving any attention. Ever.

Unfortunately, I didn’t just make up those scenarios.

Here’s his solution to all of those “problems”, in their respective order: Beat the dog, lock the dog up some more, beat the dog and yell at them, and give it an occasional head rub. The grand solution to solve ALL of those problems at once? Keep the dogs locked up in the backyard and only go out once a day to put food in their bowls.

He’s even gone so far as to use weapons such as a bull whip and BB gun to punish them. He does NOT believe in positive reinforcement.

My souldog lived with him because she couldn’t live with me. I would visit her as much as possible, and I’ve never loved a dog more. She was my heart and soul, the most important thing in the world to me, my everything. I truly believe that her and I were made for each other.

She was 8 months old when she got pregnant during her FIRST heat cycle, 11 months old when she had the puppies, and 16 months when she died. This was all because of my dad.

I NEVER intended to breed her. Ever. It was the last thing I wanted, especially for my baby. My main priority with her was to get her spayed, but she came into heat when I thought I had more time. My dad had an intact male (also gone now), and it was so obvious what would happen if they even came in contact with each other. So I gave my dad very simple instructions to do while I wasn’t at his house: Keep them separated. Keep the diaper on her. I did NOT want puppies.

What did he do? He left them outside together. All day. Every day. Unsupervised. And he had the NERVE to act surprised when she turned up pregnant. He’s stupid, but not that stupid. His excuse for putting her outside with the male? “Well, what did you want me to do? Leave her inside to pee and poop everywhere?” Don’t even get me started on how much puppy pee and poop I cleaned up on a daily basis. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather clean up one big dog’s mess occasionally during a couple of weeks than 8 puppies’ every day for two months. I very strongly believe he was using my dog as a money vessel and that he knew EXACTLY what he was doing leaving her outside with the male. His first thoughts were So how much are we selling the puppies for? I was beyond furious, but there was nothing I could do except love my future grandbabies.

I’m not even going to get into the amount of stress, tears, frustration, anger, and gaslighting those puppies brought me because that’s an entirely different story on its own. Let’s say I was very ready to not speak to my dad for a very long time when it was nearing the time to give the puppies to their new homes.

My dad kept one of the puppies even against me screaming at him not to. The mother, my everything, got hit by a car in his care last August. I can’t even begin to describe the pain that brought me. The puppy my dad kept was rehomed recently because he was EXTREMELY destructive (I wonder why). It’s for the better, though. He was the sweetest boy ever and didn’t deserve the treatment he got from my dad. But now my dad wants another dog. I told him not to do it, but he’s gonna do it eventually anyway. I just know he will. He’s not even financially secure enough to get a dog. Nowhere close to it. But I suppose he’ll spend just $20 a month on it, so I guess that really is affordable, huh? My dad doesn’t even have a house right now, and he wants a dog? I think we can all guess how it’s going to turn out.

I forgot to mention that my dad doesn’t even believe in vets. His dogs will NEVER see a vet. Ever. Even if they’re dying on his floor. Which has happened before.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
On a side note, here’s my precious angel and my beautiful grandbabies. They’ll be a year old in 5 days. I miss them dearly! Mama was far too young for this and tired all the time. She still did a great job 70F3FD6D-2542-4541-8EA3-B84093EADE9B.jpeg F422ED0D-3C56-4F0F-B214-A660A5850ECE.jpeg
5CC31721-AE66-4B20-BC21-32C15B965ED6.jpeg 02630D37-BCFA-4E6A-8014-5398B89A580D.jpeg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ll admit that trusting my father to begin with was a huge mistake on my part, but he’s my dad. At the time, I figured he’d actually listen to me. He even promised me he’d keep the dogs separate. The entire thing was a learning experience for me, and one of the things I learned was my father’s true colors. They weren’t pretty.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Your father is a terrible person and now you are aware of it.

He is probably not going to change, so you might as well stop giving him opportunities to hurt and disappoint you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts