Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm the owner of a 13 year old dachshund male that's been having flaky skin for several months now. His vet didn't seem too certain of the problem and prescribed antibiotics which did not have much noticeable impact. He's itchy all the time and his skin smells bad, even after a thorough shower.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Any suggestions on what it could be or any steps to treat it? I know he's old but he looks happy and still likes to play, and still has a lot of spunk left.

·
Registered
86 Posts
At the very least it looks like your pup has a yeast infection. However, yeast is almost always a secondary problem. So if you spend a lot of time and effort treating only the yeast, it is likely to come back unless the underlying problem is treated. I would definitely have a recheck with your vet about it.

There are several home remedies for treating yeast. But if you treat for yeast before going in for a recheck, your vet might not be able to find the yeast. Although that sounds like a good thing, it can make a "total" diagnosis more difficult. Even if your vet finds other things such as mange, the fact that the animal received OTC treatments might cause confusion.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Skin scrape for mange and yeast first.

Second, try Fromm whitefish and potato food and see if that happens. Poor guy I bet he is so miserable

And bathing him in Nizoral shampoo (can find at cvs or walgreens) will help if it's yeast.

Keep us posted on this sweeties progress please!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts