Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three, 2 1/2 year old Westies, all girls, all litter mates. They all have very different personalities but all possess the typical Westie stubborn trait.

I have been able to train them to do various things but we have had NO luck with the following: they fight with each other alllllllllllllllllllll the time. They bark incessantly. They growl and snap at us often and they attack our 2 foster dogs (a rottweiler and a collie - we had the fosters before we got the Westies)

We can't train them apart because the other two go crazy. If we try all three at the same time they ignore us. They go crazy on us when we try to put on their harnesses to take them for a walk - I mean crazy. Fighting with each other, trying to bite us, barking and barking and barking. Once we've gone through that hell they love their walks but it's so awful getting them ready, they don't get walked too much.

I'm lost. How do you get three dogs to listen to you at the same time? I spoke to a trainer and she said that all three needed to be trained at the same time or it wouldn't work doing one at a time but my god! It's a nightmare.

Before anyone asks, we were only supposed to have the fosters for a few months which was why we felt it would be ok to get 'our own' dogs. Then the owner decided he didn't want them anymore. That's how we came to have 5 dogs but the two fosters, which are now ours are extremely well behaved. We love them to death. And despite how bad their behavior sounds I couldn't and wouldn't ever get rid of the Westies. I came down with lung cancer January 08 and they were my saving grace. They stayed by my side all through chemo and radiation. I swear they helped pull me through with their love and kisses.

Sorry so long winded. Help?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
How do you get three dogs to listen to you at the same time? I spoke to a trainer and she said that all three needed to be trained at the same time or it wouldn't work doing one at a time but my god! It's a nightmare.
I've always heard the opposite--that dogs should be trained separately. I don't have a lot of multiple dog experience, but I do know how much of a struggle it is when I try to train my dog and my friend's dog at the same time.

Could you train one of them at a time while your husband (or whoever you mean by "we") distracts the others? You can alternate between who trains and who distracts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts