Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm sure most of you don't remember me. I came here looking for advice last summer because I was looking at adopting a dog and was really interested in a chow. Almost everyone here strongly suggested against getting a chow because of all the difficulty and extra effort it would require to train that specific breed. But I decided to adopt one anyway because that's what I wanted. Most people here thought that wasn't too smart, but it actually worked out fine.

First, I'd like to thank everyone for voicing there opinion and concern. The people who did so in a respectable manner I have nothing but admiration for. The experience I've had with Oz (see picture) over the last year has been nothing but enjoyable. It really has not been challenging at all. We took a puppy training class when he was little which allowed him to really become socialized around other dogs and people. He's great with everyone. I've never seen a dog with such a quirky personality. His favorite thing in the world is walks, even more than food. He also loves other dogs. He plays with them for hours in the dog park. Further, it's really not hard to groom him everyday. I think the challenge of socialization and constant grooming were the two concerns people voiced to me on this forum. I guess most people are just lazy and see this breed as a challenge but with the right effort and early training chows make an amazing dog.

Lastly, I pretty much dropped this forum because of a response I received from a complete a**hole who thought he was the smartest person alive. He knocked me because of where I bought my dog and laughed at the fact that he would probably have health problems. I couldn't believe his arrogance. HOWEVER, my dog is completely healthy. Absolutely no problems at all. He was the best in his class and the vet says he should have a good long life. So to the smug jackass, you were wrong!

IMG_0002.jpg

·
Registered
138 Posts
What a beautiful dog. I don't know anything about this breed but am glad to hear that your dog is doing so well and you are enjoying him.

·
Registered
329 Posts
...with the right effort and early training chows make an amazing dog.
Congrats on your happy, healthy Chow. I think every dog can be amazing with the right owner. Obviously you are right for Oz.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much! I'm definitely happy I made the decision in general just to get a dog. I graduated from college last May, hence the name, and it was going to be the first time for me to live by myself. I can't even imagine what living would haven been like without having him around. And like I said he is very quirky. I hate to describe it this way but part of his personality is almsot cat like but in a good way. For example, when he's playing with his toys or with me he loves to use his paws. I've seen him put a toy on his paw and flip it up so fast the toy goes 6 feet in the air. It's so funny.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Well, for health problems, I will say that it's not likely anything would pop up in the first year, so it's a bit premature to say that he has no genetic health issues. I hope he remains healthy! And I hope his parents aren't treated too badly (my main concern with breeders is how their dogs are treated, the health concerns are secondary for me).

It's great you found the right dog for you. I guess it's true that any dog can be right for a first-time dog owner as long as the owner and the dog are well matched.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, for health problems, I will say that it's not likely anything would pop up in the first year, so it's a bit premature to say that he has no genetic health issues. I hope he remains healthy! And I hope his parents aren't treated too badly (my main concern with breeders is how their dogs are treated, the health concerns are secondary for me).

It's great you found the right dog for you. I guess it's true that any dog can be right for a first-time dog owner as long as the owner and the dog are well matched.
This is very true. There are definitely certain breeds that just match perfect with a person's personality/lifestyle. And ya I know it's still very early but I was just very encouraged when the vet said everything is normal and I shouldn't expect any problems. I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope things stay in that direction.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
He is very cute. glad the first year went fine.

But at a year you cant tell how healthy he will be at 2, 5, 8, 10. At a year, he hasnt got a full coat yet. And quite honestly if you think his coat is a easy maintance. Im going to guess you are not using the right tools that get right in there. Plus at a year, he still hasnt got a full adult coat. also at a year, he is still a "puppy" and has not fully matured mentally, so you may see changes with him liking other dogs or tolerating strangers.

All that said, just becuase he is still a young dog.

Glad you really put int he effort to make it work.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I have a half chow (my 2nd one), and he is the smartest dog I've ever had. I swear he can read minds. My other one was such a sweetheart. He was smart too but in a different way. He learned to step on the trash can release to open it and take JUST ONE kleenex out, to shred. He lived to be 17 on heart alone. I love chows/chow mixes. Yours is lovely.

·
Registered
259 Posts
First, that is an absolutely ridiculous looking dog. And I mean that in a good way. I don't know if I've actually seen a Chow in person, so no real experience with him. I just came across the third person today that has suggested my Jax may be mixed with Chow (no clue what they're seeing! lol). Your pal is pretty awesome looking. A giant fur ball, somehow in a masculine-looking way (maybe it's the life jacket?!).

Looks like a few people already beat me to the comment on the health thing. I've no clue the breeder/situation you got him from that led to someone suggesting that he'll likely have issues. Obviously, the person went about it in the wrong way and while the dog may or may not remain completely healthy, 1 year really is too early to say that there are no genetic-related issues passed on to him that may appear over the course of the next few years.

All that aside, I think any dog can be a little easier than the "norm for the breed" when he/she fits with the owner so well. I told my fiance on our way to look at Jax that if he seemed to be a playful, energetic nutcase, I was more likely to get him. He was. And I did. And his high-energy level hasn't been a real issue for me but makes him fit in perfectly. So, glad to hear you're having a similar experience!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Very nice looking Chow! I had a neighbor years ago who had two solid black ones. Magnificent dogs ........ glad your experience has turned out to be a good one and your dog a good match!

Had Rough Collies and a Terrier mix as a kid ... first real dog was a Doberman back in the 1970's .... devil dogs ... I was told the same thing ... proved them wrong! Lol! It all depends on the person and the dog. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts