Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is my first time posting on any forum of any kind! So, greetings. We've had Henry, a 5 month old male chihuahua, since he was about 2.5 months old. We got him from a reputable breeder (both of my daughters got their chihuahuas from her). Henry is super friendly and lots of fun, however we have 1 very big problem that is making everything else just overwhelming. If I put a collar on him, he hides, sulks, won't eat or drink and freaks out. The only reason I need to put a collar on him is to take him outside to potty. We do not have a fenced yard and he can run faster than I can! Right now, he is pottying on potty pads about 80% of the time. I really don't want a dog that potties inside the house. When I have managed to get the collar/leash on and take him outside, he just hides and runs around in circles trying to escape the collar, and is way too distracted to think about going potty. I hired a private trainer, who came very highly recommended, and she didn't really help! I desperately need to be able to take Henry outside safely. And, yes, I've tried different collars, harnesses, leashes. I even tried a show lead...they are very light and just slip over the dogs head. He is not afraid of collars and leashes...he chews on them, plays with them, carries them around, and plays tug of war with them. He just doesn't want to wear one! It's amazing how a 2.5 lb dog can run ones life!! I need help!! Anyone? Thank you so much for taking the time to read.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Put the collar on him and leave it on. That way you don't have to deal with his sulking. Then, all you have to do it attach the leash when you want to take him out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done that for up to 24 hours, twice, and both times he refused to eat or drink anything!! He only weighs 2.5 pounds and I got concerned about low blood sugar and dehydration, so I took it off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have you tried having a yummy treat in your hand for him to smell as you are putting it on? Then give the treat as soon as he has it on and another as he's not trying to take it off? This is what worked for me when Oreo didn't want the collar on and then again when I attached the leash.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts