Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just adopted it last week, it really wants to spend her whole time with me. and if she is not sleeping, she is sniffing. so it makes me wonder if she wants to eliminate, so i have to take her out.

and when i take her out, she can urinate several times. (is that normal?) the first day, when i got her home without the leash, she literally urinated inside the house 3 times in less than 20 mins. i think that her previous owner probably didn't train her properly. she doesn't have that typical sniffing act before she needs to eliminate. during last week, she was sleeping on my lap fine. when i got up to do something, she immediately ran to another room, and urinated on the floor on two occasions. Another time, she defecated right by the tv, and i didn't even know when she did it. i was in the same room!

to me, the only time that she is not doing anything is when she sleeps. when she is up, she is running around inside the house. and i don't know if she will eliminate again, so i have to follow her everywhere. if i just tie her down by myside, she can't stop walking around, trying to find something to chew, etc. she doesn't seem to be able to just sit on the floor and do nothing.

after i finish walking her, she doesn't want to get inside the house or in the car. it seems that she wants to be out, run wild all the time.

i obviously can't spend my whole free time with her. she is a chihuahua and terrier mix, about 1 year old. this whole thing is becoming a little stressful for me. so what is going on here? i am thinking about taking her back to the shelter. i can't go on like this if she is active all the time.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Have you tried a crate or ex-pen for when you want a "break" from her?

she has only been in your home for a week...just imagine how new and exciting it must be to her!!......it takes some animals a little time to adjust to there new homes......you need to be more patient and give it some time...do some reading here:)

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
How long are these walks and how often do they occur? What else do you do (or are planning to do) with the dog? Training? Toys? Dog sports? This could be a simple case of boredom!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
First, tether her to you. You don't need to be running around your house following your dog. Give her a toy to chew on so she doesn't end up eating your furniture.

Develop a schedule with her; figure out when she eats, so you know when she'll need to poop and when you have to take her out. Make sure you praise and give her a treat whenever she potties outside.

How often do you take her for walks? She's excited to be in her new home... and she needs to release her physical energy through walks and her mental energy through training sessions. Otherwise, she's just going to be hyperactive.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to answer pugmom's question, i usually just walk her for a few blocks. after all, she is a tiny dog. after i am done walking her, she doesn't want to follow me inside the house. it seems that she wants more! oh my godness.

i have lived at a few places which the neightbor or the landlord have dogs, the dogs are not supervised outside. and those dogs just come and play with me once in a while. and when they get inside of my room, they usually just greet me for a few mins. then they just find a quiet place and relax and sleep for a while. so i totally didn't expect that this dog can be so active.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
A few blocks isn't going to cut it for a 1 year-old dog... I would walk her for about 40 minutes at one go, minimum. You need to keep up the training at home too so she expends her mental energy and doesn't become bored.

Where are you from?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
You should start trying N.I.L.I.F and work on some basic commands to work on bonding and leadership.

Set up a schedule, take her out every hour, if she eliminates or looks like she has to go before every hour, bring it down to 45 minutes. If she doesn't go hourly, make it every hour and a half, if she doesn't go every hour and a half, make it every 2 hours, and so on until you get an elimination schedule.

Play fetch inside the house, or tug, and go run around outside, chihuahua's aren't balls of energy, but they do have energy and need walks and play time and training like every other dog.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
You should start trying N.I.L.I.F and work on some basic commands to work on bonding and leadership.

Set up a schedule, take her out every hour, if she eliminates or looks like she has to go before every hour, bring it down to 45 minutes. If she doesn't go hourly, make it every hour and a half, if she doesn't go every hour and a half, make it every 2 hours, and so on until you get an elimination schedule.

Play fetch inside the house, or tug, and go run around outside, chihuahua's aren't balls of energy, but they do have energy and need walks and play time and training like every other dog.
You said she was chi X terrier. It's the terrier 1/2 that has all the energy. Do you know what breed of terrier? She's new & needs time to adjust to you & your routine. As well as longer walks, play with her, teach her things b4 you feed her with her kibble if that's what she eats. Do some research on the breeds in her so you know what to expect.

·
Registered
205 Posts
A couple of blocks may not be enough for her. Our papillon puppy is 5.5 months now and we took her on a 2.5 mile hike earlier this week and she loved it. She also wasn't tired out by the end of the hike. If we need to wear her out we take her for a milelong brisk walk around the neighborhood and play lots of fetch.

Is she spayed?

I would also get her lots of toys so that she doesn't have to just sit on the floor doing nothing. My dog is asleep or doing something...she never chooses to just do nothing!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts