Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8 month old male Chihuahua. I considered him to be pad trained until about 2 weeks ago. He started peeing on my toilet in addition to sometimes still making the pad. Then he peed on the baby potty. Now it seems like he pees around the house more often than he does on the pad. He also went on a dog bed that he shares with another dog at my moms house. Im exhausted and busy with three kids, and I want to be able to help him, but I dont know how. If this continues we will have to find a new home for him, which we really dont want to do. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Has he been neutered?
How long have you had him?
Have you "trained" him to use the pads?

Just wondering- Is this your dog or the dog for the "family" that you're ultimately in charge of training?

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I have an 8 month old male Chihuahua. I considered him to be pad trained until about 2 weeks ago. He started peeing on my toilet in addition to sometimes still making the pad. Then he peed on the baby potty. Now it seems like he pees around the house more often than he does on the pad. He also went on a dog bed that he shares with another dog at my moms house. Im exhausted and busy with three kids, and I want to be able to help him, but I dont know how. If this continues we will have to find a new home for him, which we really dont want to do. Any suggestions?
If he never peed anywhere but on his pee pad before, then he may have a UTI, so needs to see the vet. I'd take him regardless, just to be sure.

However, when a dog is trained to eliminate inside the house (albeit on potty pads), it's more likely than not that he will consider the house his toilet area, and pee wherever and whenever he has to go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is not neutered, we got him for christmas. I got him from a young mother who already had one chi in her home and wasnt able to handle the additional puppy. She pad trained him, and he was doing great. First it seemed like he was confused, now it seems like he's lost his mind. He is the family dog, that i am in charge of training. I think ive failed. :( Today, i tried really hard to stay on top of his use of the pad, and i purchased a bigger pad for him. He used the pad first thing this morning, but he doesn't empty his bladder. he went a bit, and then ran back over to me, I praised him. 30 seconds later he was on the pad again just going a bit, he did this 4 times. and i know his bladder was full as he had been in the crate all night. What is this?

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I think he's absolutely confused. Dogs don't generalize very well, so it's quite possible that he forgot most of his potty training when he moved from one house to the other. I would get the dog to the vet for a checkup and then start all over with potty training as though he were a puppy. See the sticky in the training forum.

As previously mentioned, paper training a dog isn't always completely successful. There's very little difference (to a dog) between the soft squishy material of the pee pad and the soft squishy material of your carpeting. Is there any chance of training him to relieve himself outside?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts