Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My chi had what I believe was a false pregnancy about a year ago. One of her boobs stayed swollen since then. Sometimes it gets really swollen and sometimes it's just bigger than the others. It doesn't seem to bother her and there's nothing wrong with it but the fact that it's swollen. I looked up what mastitis was and it doesn't hurt her, it's not red and there is no discharge coming from it. It's only swollen.

I don't like going to the vet unless it's something major (nothing major has happened to her thank goodness). My mom has a Schnauzer and vets really can be jerk's. They just want money. I know quite a bit about dog's and I have helped take care of my mom's dog for 12 years. I have just never seen anything like this. Also, I take good care of my princess. She eats well, is always clean and only goes outside to use the bathroom. PLUS her pee/poo area is clean and flea free. Either way I check her when we come in just to make sure nothing got on her.

Help???

Below is a picture of Bella. If you look closely you can see her boobie.

PS: As you can see we cut her hair haha, long story. But it's growing out nicely! =)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
It really needs to be looked at by a medical professional. Older unspayed females are at high risk for mammary gland cancer (and pyometra, but that wouldn't cause a swollen teat), and that could be the problem. Not all vets are jerks. . .call around to find one you like. Ask your friends for recommendations. Look online for reviews. There are some great vets out there, you just have to find one. There's no substitute for actual medical care. And no home treatment for cancer.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I agree, could be a tumor. If she's older and unspayed, she's also at risk for pyometra, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to have that looked at and then get her spayed. They may need to remove the breast tissue to prevent further problems if it's cancer, I know a few dogs who have had both surgeries at the same time and done quite well. I wouldn't leave it any longer for sure just in case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts