Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help
I have a 6 month old female chihuaha that has a bad habit of eating her own poo and having some of her own poo in her bed, does anyone have any suggestions to fix this problem?

Thanks
Mick

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
What brand of food do you feed her? Sometimes poop-eating is caused by a nutritional deficiency (not always. . .but it's the first thing to try).

How well is she potty-trained other than the poop in bed thing?

·
Registered
85 Posts
In addition to examining your dog's food, is your dog crated a lot or rescued from a situation where they were crated a lot? Dogs in these situations will sometimes eat their own feces to keep their space clean and/or out of boredom.

You can also try adding a teaspoon or two of pineapple of pumpkin to their food. Apparently it tastes good the first time, but not good the second time. There are also a couple of different sprays that pet stores sell that give the poo a bad odor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She refuses to eat dry dog food and will only eat expensive wet food. Here in Australia ther is a brand called VIP puppy food, she loves the chicken and turkey flavour. We have had her since she was about 6-7 weeks old. She only gets carried around sometimes by my daughter like Paris Hilton carries her dog. She uses a litter tray as a toilet as she is an indoor dog,and will take some poo out of the litter tray and put it in her bed. I try to make a habit of cleaning up when she is noy around as I read somewhere dogs can mimic you trying to help clean up.

·
Registered
329 Posts
There was an episode of The Dog Whisperer in which Cesar worked with a dog that ate her poo. He taught her to trade her poo for bites of banana. He said that sometimes eating poo is caused by a deficiency in potassium which bananas has lots of. Also the dog preferred the banana and the attention she got when she ignored her poo. Its worth a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AplmEUoanvU&feature=fvsr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts