Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with a neighbor's dog. When we finally got the dogs separated, I took him inside. A few minutes later, his left eye became swollen. I tried to rush to a vet but they were all closed. I opted to wait util the next morning to take him the the vet and also to see if the condition would get better. It hasn't. The eye is still swollen and now there's a little red coming out of his eyelids. I'm very scared for him.

Here are some pictures:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Any other symptoms or changes in behavior? Possible he just took a hit to the eye and its swollen. Like a black eye. I think my main concern would be an infection. Take him to the vet as soon as you can.

You don't have an emergency vet near you? You may want to find a 24/7 vet for future emergencies. It's never good to be a real emergency and looking online where you can take the dog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been looking but I haven't found one yet. I actually haven't slept yet since his eye became swollen researching what it could be and what I could do to help alleviate any discomfort he may have.

I tried to get him to eat something an hour ago, he didn't want to eat. Also, he's usually very energetic when he wakes up and before he gets his walk, but right now he's very calm and doesn't seem to want to move very much. That's all I've noticed so far.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking?

Or you can type into google "24 hour veterinarian _____" with your area code in the blank.

It's 10:30 on a Thursday morning. There ARE vets around you who are open for business, I promise, unless you're in very rural US or in another country.

·
Banned
693 Posts
http://www.whiteivie.com/ - "If you feel that your pet has a problem that may require urgent attention call us at 650.583.5039 immediately. If after hours, contact the emergency clinic 650.348.2575."

Also, North Peninsula Vet seems to be a 24/7 clinic: 227 North Amphlett Boulevard, San Mateo, CA 94401-1805 - (650) 348-2575.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
CALL your regular vet. Often they have a system in place to forward calls/messages to the on call doctor who will then meet you at the clinic.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Well, they're open now... So why don't you call them and rush him in?

Dog eye injuries can be very severe, and by spending time here you're risking the loss of the eye, especially if he's bothering it more by itching it or rubbing it. Please call your vet and go there immediately. And please update us when you get home so we know that the little guy is ok.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
When Remmy came home from the Vet from having two teeth pulled and his teeth cleaned, his one eye looked like that. He had just banged it somehow coming out of the aneasthetic and the Vet did not seem at all concerned with it. It gradually went away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys. Sorry for the super late response. He's fine. The vet just gave me a saline solution to clean his eyes. He just banged it during the fight. The swelling has gone down but his eye is still a little bit red.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts