Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i went to the vet and found out that the fainting episodes hes been having is due to heartworms... what do i do?? Champ is only a yorkie and i dont want him to suffer but i dont want him to die either... do i chance the treatment they suggest i give him?? :confused:

·
Registered
301 Posts
what did the vet say about his chances of survival? How old is he? Is he healthy and strong? If so I would try it!

I had a dog I rescued many years ago that had it, he was an older dog as well, but made it through.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I think if you fail to protect your pet by not giving them the proper heartworm prevention, you owe it to them to try to treat the resulting infestation...under your vet's care of course. I guess it depends on the degree of infestation though...at some point it might be more humane to euthanize the animal. These are really questions for your vet.

Treatment is usually covered by the manufacturer if you've been buying prevention from a licensed, approved source (your vet) and the dog got heartworms despite the prevention.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what did the vet say about his chances of survival? How old is he? Is he healthy and strong? If so I would try it!

I had a dog I rescued many years ago that had it, he was an older dog as well, but made it through.

well they cant really say his chances of survival just yet... hes at the vet now getting his xrays done... hes only 4 1/2 yrs old... vet says his health is not good but im not sure if thats because of the heartworm im sure it is

·
Registered
823 Posts
If the vet thinks his infestation is small enough that the risk of not treating is greater than the risk of treating, I would do it. How long has he had the worms? Has he been on prevention? Good luck!

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
If you do not treat the infection, he will die... advanced heartworm infections are fatal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so the vet called me back on the xrays.... turns out Champs heart has minimal damage... which is good news since we expected worse... the thing is the fainting spells hes having are not heartworm symptoms so we cant say thats the cause of it which is the bad news!! just hope we find out what it is

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Good luck to you and to little Champ. I think going through the treatment is really your only choice. The other option is that Champ will die. I hope all works out well for you both.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Not a vet and I'm not going to link at the moment but there are two ways to approach a diagnosed hw infection. The "traditional" way to treat is to use arsenic based drugs that are very effective in killing the worms. The drawback is that the worms are long and dead segments can cause heart arrest if they clog the arteries. So the challenge is to keep the dogs absolutely quiet as much as possible to minimize that risk. Many people aren't up to it apparently so that's why hw "prevention" is stressed.

The other approach, which I would personally look into, is a very long term administration of a normal dose of ivermectin, the drug in Heartgard. If the dog has a healthy immune system otherwise, the year or more administration of Heartgard eventually and gradually clears the parasites. It's the gentle "Ex-Lax" approach :).

Obviously this protocol depends on the degree of infestation and the individual dog's "lifestyle" to succeed and a vet that is willing to monitor the dog's progress often without charging a lot.

Either way you need to treat your dog. If a vet you trust wants to do the quick and drastic eradication, then please be ready to deal with a little dog who wants to play before he can afford to move around a lot.

·
Registered
760 Posts
We treated a 11yr old female with advanced HW last summer the treatment was hard on her and ended up taking 6months due to complications she's now through with the treatment and is doing very well but she will always have a cough when she gets to excited but she had HW pretty bad but I would treat her again if we had too..........

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
VET UPDATE:: after some blood work last nite... the vet calls today to say Champ has a mild case of Anemia... she suggets i put him on s vitamin supplement as well as Heartgard... until he is back to his old self we wont be doing heartworm treatment ... Thank you for all the feedback it is greatly appreciated! :)

if u know of any vitamins supplements i should give him i would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
What supplement did the vet suggest? Is the anemia from the heartworms?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
The other approach, which I would personally look into, is a very long term administration of a normal dose of ivermectin, the drug in Heartgard. If the dog has a healthy immune system otherwise, the year or more administration of Heartgard eventually and gradually clears the parasites. It's the gentle "Ex-Lax" approach :).
It is gentler, but is ONLY for low grade infections. IF this is a viable option for you, you might look into Ivermectin liquid which would be less expensive for a long term treatment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts