Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi this is my first post here and I wanted to get your guys opinion on my baby! :)

We adopted Justice from a humane society and know that he is Catahoula, but the other part we are not sure!

He's a little over 3 months, about 15lbs. Short hair, longish tail that hangs down with slight curve. One eye has blue crystallization to it (a product of genetics which is apparently common in the catahoula breed).

We've theorized German shepherd, Australian shepherd and Husky. I personally don't think German because he's too white (even though the pictures show him as tannish, he's more white). Not long enough hair for Australian and Husky I sort of lean towards but not sure, what do you think of him? :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
he's very cute.. looks alot like my Maybe..who is German Shepherd/Husky/?

so ya i'd say your guesses towards husky and shepherd are quite accurate....
mind you i'm no expert..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aw thank you guys. He's gets compliments every where he goes... :p

And wow I do agree, he does look a lot like your dog tuffy cuddles!

·
Registered
189 Posts
He looks just like a german shepherd pup in my puppy class. The coloring could be a result of the catahoula maybe? Very cute!

My puppy has blues eyes with a weird dark spot in on eye so its like the opposite of yours.:)

I want so badly to do the DNA test to find out what mine is! Wouldn't that be great? I've heard its not all that accurate though and I would hate to throw away that kind of money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He looks just like a german shepherd pup in my puppy class. The coloring could be a result of the catahoula maybe? Very cute!

My puppy has blues eyes with a weird dark spot in on eye so its like the opposite of yours.:)

I want so badly to do the DNA test to find out what mine is! Wouldn't that be great? I've heard its not all that accurate though and I would hate to throw away that kind of money.
I know, I can't decide which one I see in him more... some day I see german shepherd and others husky. maybe it's all three! ;)

and yeah I've looked into DNA kits also and heard some mixed reviews on them. Not only that they dont cover all breeds and Catahoula is a rare breed so I doubt it would cover him. :(

·
Registered
714 Posts
i have 2 huskies and his head seems kind of long, i see maybe collie in his head and ears.
and collies and aussies both carry the merle gene. collies also carry their tails the way you describing.
but regardless he is cute lil guy!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi Sherri. I was happy to see the photos of your cute pup. I also have a catahoula mix - Lily. I got her when she was 3 months old. She's now 9 months old. I've posted a photo below - here she is 4 months old. Also, below that, I've posted a photo of her litter mate, Chip. I think your pup looks more like Chip than Lily?. Chip has a lot more black on him.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure on the breed but I would day husky. I know he does not have long hair but he could have just got the coloration. I don't know but he is very cute!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Sherri. I was happy to see the photos of your cute pup. I also have a catahoula mix - Lily. I got her when she was 3 months old. She's now 9 months old. I've posted a photo below - here she is 4 months old. Also, below that, I've posted a photo of her litter mate, Chip. I think your pup looks more like Chip than Lily?. Chip has a lot more black on him.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Aw how cute! :) They both are so close to what Justice looks like! He's got black all over his backside and top of his head, and then his belly and legs are white. Do you know what yours are mixed with by any chance?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Aw how cute! :) They both are so close to what Justice looks like! He's got black all over his backside and top of his head, and then his belly and legs are white. Do you know what yours are mixed with by any chance?
Sorry - don't know for sure what their mix is. My vet thinks Lily (top picture) has some lab. Though, her brother Chip, (bottom picture) looks like he has some german shepherd dog. Either way, they are both great dogs - good personalities.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry - don't know for sure what their mix is. My vet thinks Lily (top picture) has some lab. Though, her brother Chip, (bottom picture) looks like he has some german shepherd dog. Either way, they are both great dogs - good personalities.
Aw that's good, I see both of those in them also. By any chance do either of them have a fear of people? Justice is terrified of strangers, even my parents here...every time they walk into the room he gets quiet and hides by me and loses his puppy attitude around others. I wondered if any other people with Catahoula's have experienced the same. I thought they were a more aggressive and bold breed but maybe mine isn't... :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Aw that's good, I see both of those in them also. By any chance do either of them have a fear of people? Justice is terrified of strangers, even my parents here...every time they walk into the room he gets quiet and hides by me and loses his puppy attitude around others. I wondered if any other people with Catahoula's have experienced the same. I thought they were a more aggressive and bold breed but maybe mine isn't... :)
Hmm..i don't know if that has to do with the breed or not. Lily belongs to me - she's never been shy or afraid of people. Chip belongs to a friend, and, as far as I know, he is fine with people too. ( He lives with a family of 4 kids :) ) I think there's some good info in the Training Forum about fearful dogs?? I get the sense that you can definitely turn that around. Especially since Justice is young yet. He needs more confidence in himself :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm..i don't know if that has to do with the breed or not. Lily belongs to me - she's never been shy or afraid of people. Chip belongs to a friend, and, as far as I know, he is fine with people too. ( He lives with a family of 4 kids :) ) I think there's some good info in the Training Forum about fearful dogs?? I get the sense that you can definitely turn that around. Especially since Justice is young yet. He needs more confidence in himself :D
Yeah I was gonna look into it because I don't want him afraid of people like this. He's such a cute playful puppy but no one gets to see it but me and my husband cause he shuts down around others. Thanks for the info! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts