Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I would post some photos of my other guys.

This is Sophie, she's 10 years old and I've had her since she was 4 months old. She's just the best little girl. Her cage is in my office/studio so I spend a lot of time with her during the day. This is when she's running around at night (the office is chin-proofed so she can have some out time).

This is in my husband's sweatshirt pocket.

Me with Sophie

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's our Siberian kitty name Simon. He's 2 years old, we adopted him from a shelter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Cathy! Simon is a pretty boy, he can get a bit grouchy. We think he was abused before he came to us. It took months before he would let us pet him. He just recently stopped attacking us. Getting the puppy helped with that one, but that wasn't the reason why we got a dog lol. Simon liked to do sneak attacks and pounce on us, especially if we were on the phone. I think the puppy has helped because they like to run around with each other. Sometimes the puppy chases him, sometimes the cat's chasing the puppy. They seem to both like it.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
That's great that they play well with each other! Omg, my cats just hate puppy DJ! They've tolerated ole Georgie for years, but they're too old to enjoy anything to do with DJ.
Do Simon & Sophie play together?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I still think it's a bit of a love/hate thing with Simon. Stella just seems like she wants to play with Simon. She'll do spins and bark at him to try and get him to chase. After a while I'll separate them because I'm worried that Simon will swipe at the puppy and get her in the face. The other day they were sleeping on the same bed. On different sides of the bed, but it gave me high hopes for the future.

I try to keep the Sophie (the chinchilla) separate from the dog and cat. They understand that she's a pet but I really don't trust them unsupervised with her. Plus, she's up there in years and I don't want her getting too excited. If you look carefully at the first picture Sophie's in, there's orange fluff under the door. That's Simon trying to get his big mitts after Sophie. Sophie knows he's on the other side and I think she runs by the door to tease him. There was one night that Sophie got out by mistake (we didn't shut her cage right, it's happened maybe 3 times in the 10 years I've had her). I always assumed that Sophie would be toast if that happened. I heard him playing/chasing something, but I figured it was a toy he hadn't seen in a while and that's what got him so excited. Well, what got me springing out of bed was hearing the cat yelp in pain because the chinchilla bit him (not enough to break the skin though.) When I found them together they both had a look on their faces like "Oh no! We're busted!" I didn't yell at Simon but I was really worried that it was too much for Sophie, so I stayed with her to make sure she wouldn't have a heart attack or something after things had settled. After that incident we put a second lock on the cage.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
LoL! I DO see Simon on the other side of the door now - that's a riot!
Sure, I can understand you wanting to keep them apart. Maybe if Sophie were younger when Simon came into the family.

·
Registered
823 Posts
OMG Simon looks just like my Miley! Adorable! And very cute chinchilla, I have always wanted one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys! Cathy, I actually got Sophie because I couldn't stand being without a pet when I was in college. My parents got this adorable kitten Valerie during my christmas break and I spent most of my break with her (a good 6 weeks). When I went back to school I had such withdrawal from animal contact. So when I came back on my spring break my family and I discussed getting a chinchilla. Well, Valerie and Sophie are very close. She's the only cat that I will put next to Sophie and trust that there won't be an attack. I don't know if it's just because we got them relatively at the same time or if it's the fact that Valerie is a persian cat (very calm cat and loving). We have one picture where we put them in the same basket together. The funny thing is that they're very close in coloring. I moved out of my parents home 6 years ago, but when I bring Sophie over, they're very happy to see each other.

I also had a cat named Toby. I had him when I lived with my parents. Sophie and Toby were very close. When we used to live in an apartment, Sophie was in the living room and Toby would sleep next to his cage everyday. If we gave attention to Sophie, Toby would run in between us and the cage. He was the sweetest cat and I miss him terribly. He had a problem with his kidneys and we had to put him to sleep before he turned 5.

Here's pictures of Valerie:

When she was a kitten

Here's a picture of Toby

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Very cute chin and kitty:) I know of 2 people that have chinchillas who are almost 30 years old and still going strong.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very cute chin and kitty:) I know of 2 people that have chinchillas who are almost 30 years old and still going strong.
I would love for Sophie to live that long, I thought we've been pretty lucky so far! She's such a great little girl!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
O my goodness! They're all such pretty cats!
And those are such sweet stories about Sophie & Valerie & Sophie & Toby, lol! Yeah, I'm sure the friendships had a lot to do with ages & timing. But ... I guess 1 never knows how 1 pet will interact with another in a given situation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts