Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother's dog came to him as a stray puppy 14 years ago. My brother was a street-kid and he took her and gave her better care than most dogs with homes get. They've been partners in life for all this time and she has gotten him through so many hard times. My brother's had a really rough life and she's been the one reliable positive thing to keep him going.

She had a stroke of some sort about a month ago. He got her to the vet, but all they could really do was adapt and make her as comfortable as possible. She improved for a bit, but in the last few days, her legs have been dropping out from under her. It sounds like she's ready to go, but he's not ready to let go yet. I am so heartbroken for him. I love that dog so much...I haven't seen her in 10 years. They live in Montreal....he won't come home. I miss them both and I am so worried about how he's going to do without her. She's part of him.

I need a hug :(

My brother and I with our dogs last time we were together (10 years ago). Cyborg is the one in the front.

an other one of my brother and 'Borg

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
***hugs*** (it's not a real one but I hope it will help!)

I am so sorry :( It sounds like she is a magnificent girl and very special.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Aw, I'm very sorry. *hugs* It's always nice to hear about dogs helping others; I hope your brother can find another dog that will help him the same way his other dog did/has done.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Dogs can heal so much hurt in a person. Muggsy sure did for me.

I'm so sorry your brother is going through this. Give him a hug for me, and here's one for you (((()))).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the hugs :D

I'm feeling better today. I had a long talk with my brother yesterday after I posted. I'm still trying to talk him into coming home, but I doubt it'll ever happen. I just hate to think about what's going to happen to him without his dog and without any family with him. I don't think he'll just go get an other dog. He had Cyborg because she chose him. I'm sure eventually an other dog will choose him too, but in the meantime...it's going to be tough for him to adjust. I doubt there's a dog in the world that will ever bring back the chunk of his heart and soul that Cy's taking with her as she goes.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
No dog will ever take Cyborg's place. Not ever. But another dog will take up residence in another part of his heart, a part he didn't know he had before that. Hopefully, your brother will rescue a dog and honor what Cyborg did for him by helping that dog.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Awwwe ... I am so sorry to hear this. Hugs to all of you. I too hope he can find it in his heart again some day to make the life of another dog full.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Every time I see this thread, I think "I want to say something, but have no idea what I could possibly add."
I'm going to give it a shot, anyway. I'm so sorry for you brother's loss. Losing a dog is always hard and it seems like it will be particularly difficult for him. You and he are both in my thoughts.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am so sorry for your brothers loss. Sounds like this is going to be a tough one for him. I'm glad you are in touch with him and hopefully you can help him get through it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got a call from my brother. She's gone. He took her to the vet...and I think he knew he was going to have to put her down, but he wanted a few more days...but he knew it'd be more for him than her. So, he let her go. He called me in tears trying to talk himself into believing he'd made the right decision. Of course, he did....he knew it, but it was obvious it didn't feel right to him. Then my heart broke when he said "I just don't know what to do now.".

I'd give anything to be able to jump on a plane just to give him a hug.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
I am so very sorry for all of you. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts