Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For awhile now a black Labrador Retriever from a few houses down has been visiting my yard and the yards around my house. He is a friendly fella for the most part and his visits in the past were rare. He is in tact and as of late, I think his visits have more of a purpose then just saying "hello" to me or my dogs. Carsten my little boy (now 16 months old) is still intact. My back yard is fenced in and he is never out of his yard without me. The Lab has been coming and peeing all over the fence and bushes and trees all around the area. This morning my dogs were barking (they don't often do that unless someone is on the porch) so I went to investigate. I saw a lot of little footprints going all over my driveway, up my front steps and around the front yard and circling the trees. I suspected the Lab. I have wonderful neighbor's right next door that have a Pit bull and a nasty Chocolate Lab. They are very good about keeping their dogs contained but I thought I would just ask if one had gotten out. They have a young son that might have opened the gate to the yard. He told me it was the Lab I suspected visiting again. Upon further inspection he had peed on my house in about 20 different places. That didn't make me too happy. :mad: Anyway the point of my story was that my BIG MEAN ROTTIE'S were out in the backyard going potty while I was shoveling the patio. The Lab from a few houses away came running around the back through my neighbor's yard into their fenced yard (their gate was open) and up to my back fence (that part is 4 ft. chain link) the rest is privacy. The dog peed on about 10 spots and then seeing my dog watching him, charged the fence. My big brave boy came running to mama and hid behind me, whining. I was so proud. I laughed out loud seeing that. I praised him anyway as I don't want him to be confrontational to anyone. My fear is that soon if this continues he WILL become defensive or protective. He is right at that age now where I suspect he will be "clicking on" so to speak. I know Rottweiler owners all around would have been really embarrassed of their dogs cowardly behavior but I was beaming with pride. After I got done laughing that was. Now, what to do about the Lab without causing neighbor problems? Ugh!

·
Registered
172 Posts
have you talked to your neighbor yet?

if they don't know that you have a problem with their dogs, then there's not much you should do imo.

man up (or woman, srry :p ) and go have a nice talk with them. explain your side. why you're upset, etc.. and what you would like to have happen.
if they don't agree with you, or if they get pissed and a neighbor war starts, well so be it. at least you tried. hell, i'd even call in the other neighbor and ask if they would go with you. seeing as you all have animals, one animal that roams free is a potential danger to all the animals in the area.

if it persists, i'd go back to the neighbor and let them know that you will be calling spca about a loose animal.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Moker my point was more this... Anyway the point of my story was that my BIG MEAN ROTTIE'S were out in the backyard going potty while I was shoveling the patio. The Lab from a few houses away came running around the back through my neighbor's yard into their fenced yard (their gate was open) and up to my back fence (that part is 4 ft. chain link) the rest is privacy. The dog peed on about 10 spots and then seeing my dog watching him, charged the fence. My big brave boy came running to mama and hid behind me, whining. I was so proud. I laughed out loud seeing that. I praised him anyway as I don't want him to be confrontational to anyone. My fear is that soon if this continues he WILL become defensive or protective. He is right at that age now where I suspect he will be "clicking on" so to speak. I know Rottweiler owners all around would have been really embarrassed of their dogs cowardly behavior but I was beaming with pride. After I got done laughing that was. LOL

I am not really concerned about that neighbor at this point. They have generally been good about keeping an eye on him. They have a 1 1/2 year old baby that I suspect is just keeping them a little more distracted. I will be talking to them if necessary.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL No worries Moker. I just thought his actions were funny and thought I would share it. Maybe you had to be there. lol I just think it is so funny after all the threads of Rotties killing people and how they are so mean and such. My poor pup is a wimp and I am happy about it. lol Oliver my 3 1/2 year old just stood and watched Carsten. I think he was sort of embarrassed for him. lol

·
Registered
390 Posts
My fear is that soon if this continues he WILL become defensive or protective. He is right at that age now where I suspect he will be "clicking on" so to speak.
My dog is a mutt, probably at least 3 or 4 different breeds lol, he's also at that age (15 months old) where, I think, he's starting to become more dominant and territorial, anyway...

Our neighbors dog has attacked my dog 3 different times, and my chihuahua once. (I live in a gated community where my neighbors houses on both sides are like 5 feet away.) There was never any skin that broke or any kind of injury at all, but now every time I let my dog go in the backyard on his tie-out he runs to the neighbors house with his hair sticking up while puffing his lips up. He's getting better about it and isn't really doing it very much now, but it's gone on for a while now...

The reason their dog was able to get to my dog was because when they let their dog outside they don't take it on a leash. They open the porch door, let the dog out, and stand there until the dog is done and has come back.

Twice he charged through our screen, and twice they didn't know my dog was outside at the moment.

My mom finally told them they need to put their dog on a leash when they let him outside, and they were apologetic and said they would even pay for the replacement of the screen their dog broke, and we haven't had any problems since then...

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Inga
I think at 16 months of age I prefer the laid back approach of your pup. At that age if he would have gone all macho/crazy on you it would mean some serious problems as a 3 yr old Rottie. Give the big rascal a hug.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Inga
I think at 16 months of age I prefer the laid back approach of your pup. At that age if he would have gone all macho/crazy on you it would mean some serious problems as a 3 yr old Rottie. Give the big rascal a hug.
Oh yeah! Everyday he gets hugs for being the well socialized pup he is. I was told by a Golden Retriever breeder the other day at the club that "He is just a Golden in a Rottie suit" lol I think I am just not explaining myself well. I just thought it funny. I have had many Rotties in my life. My other males tended to be a bit more "make my day ish" at that age, though still very very socialized. My girls were definitely sharper. Carsten is just proving once again that each dog is an individual. :)

I am not complaining I am celebrating. :D

·
Banned
749 Posts
LOL No worries Moker. I just thought his actions were funny and thought I would share it. Maybe you had to be there. lol I just think it is so funny after all the threads of Rotties killing people and how they are so mean and such. My poor pup is a wimp and I am happy about it. lol Oliver my 3 1/2 year old just stood and watched Carsten. I think he was sort of embarrassed for him. lol
There is a woman at a local dog park who has a rottie. His name is Bradley. This dog is so gentle that when he is approached by a smaller dog he lays down. IMHO I think it is how they are trained as with any other dog just no certain breeds.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a woman at a local dog park who has a rottie. His name is Bradley. This dog is so gentle that when he is approached by a smaller dog he lays down. IMHO I think it is how they are trained as with any other dog just no certain breeds.

I agree completely Lolas_Dad. My other boy, Oliver is like that. He lays down to make himself small around little dogs or puppies. He is truly a gentle giant. I love the name Bradley for a Rottie it sounds so sweet. I don't think a day has gone by in the 30 years that I have owned Rottweiler's that they have not made me smile at least once. They are so comical. I am sure most of the time without any effort but sometimes, I think they just have a great sense of humor. I think some breeds are more serious or "goal oriented" then others. Rottweiler's though working dogs, they tend to really be clowns as well. That along with being very tolerant and forgiving is why I have had the same breed for so long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts