Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let my bitch and other dogs out for a wee around 20 minutes ago and i saw a frog/toad - im certain it was. and they were all sniffin then my bitch was vigourusly shaking her head then started froffing. but i am very worried because she is a new mum and has 5 pups, all 11 days old.
what should i do? i need help urgently please!! will she be ok? :(

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Most toads are poisonous and many frogs are toxic. Medical treatment/advice is necessary if there's any indication of poisoning. Call your Emergency Vet....if you don't have one, do an internet search for canine toad ingestion and treatment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We've rang the emergency vet and he said to just rinse her mouth, is this good enough?
she seems calm now and relaxed, not showing any clear symptons
and i cannot afford to take her to the vets or reallisticly go at this time?
will she be ok through the night? and will the pups be affected when she feeds them
She is a 2 year old lhasa apso

·
Registered
57 Posts
Toads are not toxic to humans (well not common toads) but they can be to pets, the little notches you see on their back have poison in them, that is their defence mechinism Not sure if sites can be posted but here is one I found on q&a on dogs eating toads http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf76036554.tip.html

I also found this

Treatment

A diagnosis of toad poisoning is usually based on seeing a dog or cat mouthing a toad, or seeing a toad or toad pieces in the dog or cat's vomit if symptoms have already occurred. If an animal is seen mouthing or eating a toad, first aid includes quickly rinsing out the mouth with large amounts of water. As vomiting usually occurs as a result of toad poisoning, making a dog vomit is usually of no value, especially once symptoms are seen. If vomiting becomes persistent, a veterinarian should be consulted.

For more information visit the Animal Poison Control Center
www.apcc.aspca.org or contact them by phone at 1-888-426-4435

Sorry to keep editing but I also read the poison from the toad can vary from dog to dog depending on the weight, and since you have a small dog I would be highly concerned.. what may seem fine now, may not in a few hours

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I'm sorry you have a litter of puppies, but can't afford to go to the vets?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine as well!! Also without puppies, my feeling always has been if you cant afford a vet you cant afford a pet, I have family that NEVER take their pets to the vet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would agree, and Im sure the pups are not going to be very healthy since they have had no vet care, is there a law in certain places where you can sue breeders? backyard or not kind of like the lemon law when you buy a car?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I would agree, and Im sure the pups are not going to be very healthy since they have had no vet care, is there a law in certain places where you can sue breeders? backyard or not kind of like the lemon law when you buy a car?
I'm not sure, but you probably can. If you buy a puppy being told is it up to date with shots, and otherwise healthy and find out it's not....yeah you could probalby sue.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Get your parents to vet this dog! Time out, and this is closed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.