Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my beagle is 4 and 1/2 months old and already 15 inches paw to shoulder.is this normal because beagles are generally smaller ?

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
There are 13 inch beagles and 15 inch beagles, but those are adult sizes. Yours appears unusually tall and lanky. Did someone tell you he's a purebred? If I just met your dog on the street, I'd guess Harrier or even foxhound, but neither if those is as common as beagles.

Regardless, you have a handsome dog.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
According to the UK Kennel Club breed standard "Desirable minimum height at withers: 33 cms (13 ins). Desirable maximum height at withers: 40 cms (16 ins)". That's not saying that you won't get individuals over or under those heights. If he's from working or hunting lines, those breeders tend to care less about meeting the standard than ability, so you will see splits in the breed's appearance between show and field/working lines. Some breeds are so divergent between show and working/field lines that they barely resemble each other.

Reactions: K9luv

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
UK standards are 13 inch and American standards are 15 inch. Both sizes show separately but they are both beagles. When I had a beagle, my 15 inch beagle was sometimes referred to as an American beagle and the 13 inch dogs were called English beagles.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Small breeds get to their max size quicker than large breeds. My pup was maxed out at 5 months for height and length. He will still fill out more, but for size he is pretty much done.

My 1st pup was oversized by a couple inches, as mentioned if they are not being shown, it's really no big deal if they are bit oversized. More to snuggle 😉

·
Registered
114 Posts
That seems like a big ass 4.5 month old Beagle IMO! I'd also guess some other breed may be in there, but genetics are funny, could be purebred!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.