Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I have a beagle. I had dogs before and I was the one who insisted that, if we get an animal, it should be a dog (my husband was a cat person). Training this doggie not to pee in the house and other basic stuff was pure hell, but we accomplished it, and he's now not a puppy and he's fairly well-behaved. It's just that he contradicts everything (I thought) I knew about dogs.

He never wants to cuddle, he only wants to sniff, eat, or be left alone to sleep. I feel like I'm trying to force him into an emotional relationship that he doesn't want to have at all, except maybe with other dogs. Anyway, I guess I'll continue on the forum. Thanks for your help here.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Some dogs are very independent and/or just aren't snugglers. My terrier mix is obviously attached to me (follows me around, wiggles when I pay attention to her, gets excited when I come into the house, etc.) but isn't very cuddly. She likes a scratch behind the ears but she also likes to have a personal space bubble most of the time. Personally, I like it, especially since my other one thinks he's a lap dog.

If you want to bond with him but he's not big on affection I'd recommend making yourself a source of fun. Games, walks in interesting places, trick training, that kind of thing. And if you want him to be more physically friendly, you can start teaching him to associate being petted with stuff he already likes, like food.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts